We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best winery experiences

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
345 reviews
Save Topic
Best winery experiences

In Cape Town for 4-5 days next year. 4 adults in group. We know there are heaps of winery tours available on Viator etc, but as we will probably only have one full day we would appreciate knowing the names of 3-4 wineries that have the best (i.e. critically acclaimed) red and white wines to sample. We can then organise our own tour.

South African wines are not common in Australia so we have no real knowledge. If it's anything like here, there are lots of tours to average wineries....we only want to taste the best of SA! Any wine experts out there??

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
1. Re: Best winery experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 May 2016, 16:35
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best winery experiences

a regular poster, Lisaplaces , may chip in here, she is the food and drink guru on this forum. I often pass her tips onto my son-in-law ,whose trips to SA would be incomplete without lots of wine tasting and fine dining .

I wouldn't go with a company such as Viator . Review the vineyards and organise a private tour to take you, with you calling the shots on where and for how long .

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best winery experiences

Good advice...thx.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
61 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best winery experiences

If you're day tour takes you to the Stellenboch region, I'll mention a couple of our favorite winery experience during our recent visit there:

Kanonkop - Their pinotage and Paul Sauer (red blend) are both world class.

Klein Zalze - Very nice selection of whites in a beautiful setting. We enjoyed their sauv. blanc and sparkling wine.

Mulderbosch Vineyards - A huge cross section of wines available to taste, as they also pour wine from two affilliated labels (Fable Mountain and Yardstick Vineyards.) Mulderosch's sauv. blanc has been called the best in S. Africa by John Platter. Their barrel aged chardonnay was very nice as well. We found the blended wines by Fable Mountain to be superior. And, they have a nice restaurant doing good wood fired pizzas.

Just a couple of our favorites; I'm sure you'll find your own as there are a plethora of options, whether you go to Stellenboch or Paarl or Klein Constantia.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Mulderbosch Vineyards
Mulderbosch Vineyards
213 Reviews
Stellenbosch, South Africa
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
862 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Paarl
Paarl
Klein Constantia
Klein Constantia
128 Reviews
Constantia, South Africa
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best winery experiences

moonflower

apparently the bible for wines in SA is The Platters Guide .www.wineonaplatter.com/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best winery experiences

Platter's is an excellent resource, particularly with the detail and background provided for each winery. Just remember however that the 5 star wines might be hard to find, and are likely not to be available for tasting at the winery. Depending upon what time of year you are visiting the copy of Platter's on sale may also be the best part of a year out of date.

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best winery experiences

Much appreciated. I'm sure it will be a highlight of our time in SA.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,907 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best winery experiences

Moonflower

I agree Platters is a good source, but they also have an online version, that you could buy before you arrive to help you plan.

If you are looking for a day in the winelands, I would probably do the following. Of course it's very subjective and I avoid Pinotage heavy places.

Not sure what wine types you enjoy, but these pretty much sell a wide range, some are also recommended because of their tasting rooms and views. I have been wine tasting in Margaret River and it was very similar to the experience in South Africa.

So starting from Cape Town, I would start at Vergelegen for its wine and beautiful house and gardens.

Then I would probably visit either Hidden Valley or Uva Mira, both make excellent wines but have beautiful views, particularly Uva Mira.

If you have time, then a visit to Jordan or DeMorgenzon is worthwhile. The latter is a smaller winery but I've had a couple of excellent a stings here and they make an excellent Chenin.

Then I would head over the Helshoogte Pass to Franschhoek. You have a couple of choices here, Delaire Graff for opulence and a wow factor plus some very good wines. Or over the road at Tokara, where there is a nice deli for lunch. Excellent wines here and a very good potstill brandy.

Then into Franschhoek, if only had one option I would head to La Motte, one of the best wine tasting experiences in the winelands. My next choice would be Moreson or if you like bubbles, Le Lude is worth a visit.

I'm sure you'll have a great day, wherever you choose.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Tokara
Tokara
361 Reviews
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Moreson
Moreson
123 Reviews
Franschhoek, South Africa
Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best winery experiences

Perfect! We did Margaret River last year and loved it. Three of your choices are ones that have popped up in wine show results so looking good!!

Coming from an Australian perspective we love Shiraz and Cabernet, plus Chardonnay and dry zingy Riesling in whites.

Thx.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,907 posts
617 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best winery experiences

I love your Aussie zingy Rieslings, but they are hard to find in SA.

However, just outside Franschhoek on the way to Paarl is Vrede en Lust. I love this winery and it's also great for lunch. But they do an excellent dry Riesling, so maybe add this to your itinerary.

La Motte do a very good Shiraz/Viognier too.

If you liked Margaret River, you will like the South African wine experience and much cheaper than in Australia

Mentioned in this post
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Paarl
Paarl