We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Buenos Aires

Pietermaritzburg...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time in Buenos Aires

Its my first time traveling to South America. I have 4 nights in Buenos Aires. Whats the best way to get around? Is there Uber? Whats are the must see? Im keen for Tango class and Cooking class? Great shopping areas?

19 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

You might want to take the hop on/off bus the first day(www.buenosairesbus.com) in order to get an idea of the neighborhoods.

Both Taxi and Uber are available within the city and are inexpensive.

Boutique shopping is available in walking areas of Palermo Soho and Recoleta. Larger shopping malls are located throughout the city in Recoleta(Patio Bullrich, Recoleta mall near cemetary), Alto Palermo, Galerias Pacifico in downtown, and Abasto mall in Abasto neighborhood.

Large tango venues which can include dinner are available such as Carlos Gardel,Senor Tango, Piazolla. Also, you can experience tango venues in San Telmo streetside or in cafes such as Café Tortoni or Café de los Angelitos.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

Im not sure what and where you want to go, but when i was there and for the things i wanted to do and see, the metro and feet made short work of it. Again, for me.

Good luck

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

As I saw you mentioned about cooking class. I googled it for you ;)

Buenos Aires Cooking Classes (see link below)

https:/…

Edited: 09 September 2017, 18:45
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

In addition to my above post, from that link

Private Argentine Cooking Class and Tango Lesson in Buenos Aires

https:/…d901-24753P3

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

For a first visit I'd suggest you invest in a guide book or utilize the above links (Things to do, etc) Then, when you have more specific questions, this site would be a good source.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

Eye Witness and Fodors as well as Tripadvisor.TimeOut also ..

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

I loved Recoleta Cemetery and found Eva Peron's crypt. (Family name Duarte). Plus try to go on a tour of Casa Rosada but it's only available weekends and must be booked online. Take a walk along Avenida Defendsa on Sunday to see the longest market which ends in Plaza Dorrega. It's full of antique stalls and live tango. Great atmosphere but keep your bag close. If time also take a taxi or get off the tour bus (if doing that) at La Boca to see the coloured houses. i spent a month in BA and those were my favourites. Cafe Tortini also has live tango shows. Just keep an eye open for doggie caca.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,060 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

If you like Eva Peron, her house is in Palermo, turned into a lovely museum with the best cafe in a walled garden. We went there once to see the museum but went back often for the cafe :)

The address is Lafinur 2988 BA ... Palermo .. you can walk there from Recoleta.

Edited: 11 September 2017, 09:23
Los angeles
Level Contributor
59 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

For getting around take taxis, I do not recommend Uber (safety factor). They are everywhere so no problem catching one. For shopping Galeria Pacific and area around it. Also Posda Street in Recolta. Take a city tour so you can get a feel of the lay of the land. Must see, Museo National de Bellas Artes, Recolta Cemetery, Sunday market in San Telmo and tango show at Carlos Gardel. For tango classes ask your hotel. My favorite restaurant is Piegari Ristorante. Tour Theater Colon. There is so much to do in BA you will have no problem

10. Re: First time in Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2017, 08:05

Reply to: First time in Buenos Aires
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted