We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Hi all,

Is it possible to get from the ferry port (we will be coming in from Montevideo) to the Plaza Italia Metro Station fairly easily?

I've used Google maps and there's obviously a bit of a walk to get to Marina Nueva train station (which is absolutely fine) but from there it get's a bit confusing.

Is there a particular train station to get off at that gives good access to the underground.....or a better way anyone can think of?

We quite like taking public transport on our travels and refuse to pander to any taxi scams.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Paul

9 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

You have 2 good choices of public transport from the Buquebus terminal.

Bus 152 and Bus 93: Short two block walk towards Ave Leonardo N Alem on Ave Cordoba. Both buses will take you to Plaza Italia without changes.

Subte D is the third choice but requires a longer walk to the Plaza de Mayo.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Great. Thanks for the information.

Is there anything else i need to know before i get there?

I.e where the buses go from exactly.....do i need change (coins) to get on the bus? Will we be OK with luggage?

Thanks for your help. :)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

The buses require a transport card called Sube. If this is your first visit to the city then you would need to purchase one before boarding the bus, thus making the bus a challenge for you and especially with the luggage.

Since you have luggage, then I would suggest that you use a taxi or Uber to your destination. I would catch the taxi at the intersection of Cordoba and Alem(2 blocks) since the taxi from the ferry terminal charges a supplement and you want to avoid that challenge.

The fare from that intersection to Plaza Italia should not be more than the equivalence of $US7 payable in Argentine pesos. The taxi will use the meter and you will be fine.

This is the procedure which I do when I arrive on the ferry: with luggage, then taxi; without luggage then bus.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Ok thanks Ricardo, it looks like i'll just book an Uber or get a taxi from the place you mentioned.

Can i just check with you that the direct Montevideo to Buenos Aires Burquebus ferry (the one that takes just 2hrs 15 mins) docks in Puerto Madero?

It's so difficult to find correct information online, and google shows the ferry docking all the way up the coast in Marine Del Norte!

I'm assuming from your posts that google maps is wrong, and it is Puerto Madero....which is much better for us!

Again, thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. :)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

You are correct; the Buquebus terminal is located in Puerto Madero in Darsena Norte. The terminal is at the corner of Cordoba/Alicia Moreau de Justo.

Walk out of terminal complex to the street;turn right and walk on Cordoba towards Alem(toward center of city).

There is ATM money machine inside terminal if you need cash for taxi and of course Uber is charged.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Paul - you don't say how long you will stay. Also if you want to get to Plaza Italia then you must be staying in Palermo. In any case, on arrival at Puerto Madera - take a taxi to your destination - or if there are Remis or Uber booths, they are even better. The only way to get scammed if you allow a porter to take your luggage to an unlicensed vehicle which charges you twice the price you should pay. This does happen at transport hubs like the train station, bus station & maybe at the port. The system is actually well controlled. Licensed taxis have uniform colours identified as 'Radio Taxis'. They are allowed to stop & pickup on the street. Remises & Ubers do not pickup on the streets, & must be booked by phone or in local offices.

If your stay is short, use taxis\remises\Uber all the time. If your stay is long, you can take the time to explore the transit systems later.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Follow Ricardo's advice. Don't take a taxi directly from the Buquebus terminal or from any transportation terminal in BA. Walk a block or two and take a cab from the street to avoid the substantial supplental charge. The supplement from ferry and cruise terminals, airports and train or bus stations is charged by licensed as well as unlicensed taxis,

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

My advice was based on my last extended trip to BsAs in 2005. I never paid any supplemental charge from\to the two airports nor the LD bus terminal. Maybe things have changed.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?

Everything has changed since 2005 ..

Reply to: Ferry Port to Plaza Italia by Public Transport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted