We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires?

3 posts
Save Topic
Buenos Aires?

We care looking to do South America for a vacation in February. Is this a good destination for Feb? We are also considering Lima. Rio is out of the question, but are there any cities we are overlooking??

8 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires?

I love Buenos Aires so I would always recommend a visit at any time of the year - plenty to see and do and I found it an easy city navigate and very safe. If you decide to go with Buenos Aires it's easy enough to also take the ferry over to Montevideo and Colonia for a short trip to add a little more to your trip without much effort or money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires?

February is probably the worst month to visit Bs As because in February the climate is super hot and muggy. Many locals vacate the city to take vacations in places like Bariloche, Pinamar, Miramar, or outside of Arg in Rio, Punta del Este, or the other beach towns of Uruguay, or... anywhere to escape. Consequently, many businesses including restaurants are closed.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 19:47
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires?

I love BsAs in February, but I grew up in hot and humid Baltimore:) I wouldn't suggest staying without AC, but many days are milder and there is a lot of shade. And, it's quieter, but not without the bustle of the city. While some merchants are off to the beach, many others are open as there are still Portenos and Tourists to serve.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,067 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buenos Aires?

Oh I love Summer in Buenos Aires ! especially when people are at their summer homes .. some shops are closed but the big ones are open, it is a huge city with millions of people ( like NY / London etc) so you are going to be in a big fabulous city with a few less people. You might not even notice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buenos Aires?

One thing it would be hard not to notice is the weather. It can be oppressively hot and humid and very uncomfortable in Bs As in February. Bs As is a good city in which to walk, but long walks which might be fun at other times will definitely be unpleasant, if not totally out of the question, no matter where you grew up.Yes, large shops will remain open, but many restaurants and small shops will be closed for vacation.

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buenos Aires?

Thanks. We would be coming from New Orleans, so oppressively hot is not a concern! 😂

However, I don't like the idea of places being closed during that time. Thanks for all the info.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buenos Aires?

I've spent many Februarys in Buenos Aires and the average temperatures are low 80'sF during the day and low 70'sF in the evenings.

I love the evenings in Recoleta where I live and I could stroll and do a lot of window shopping, outdoor dinners and ice cream sundaes.

I wouldn't hesitate to plan a vacation in the city for that time of the year.

If heat is a problem then avoid the last days of December or most of January where the temps go above 100F and usually in the 90'sF..

All of my favorite restaurants and shop have been open. I wouldn't worry about that since BA is a city of 12 Million people so we have to eat and shop.

Edited: 17 September 2017, 22:18
8. Re: Buenos Aires?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2017, 08:05

Reply to: Buenos Aires?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted