We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see things in Mendoza

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
17 reviews
Must see things in Mendoza

I'm heading there for a couple of days. Apart from a winery tour, are there any other 'must see' places in 2 days? Restaurant recommendatikns for a vegetarian/pescatarian also welcome.

14 replies to this topic
Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
240 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

Cuenco Is a great vegetarian place but only open for lunch.

Apart from the wine, Mendoza has beautiful mountains so I would either take a mountain tour, or go horseback riding, white water rafting or something along those lines

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

We have done Mendoza a few times. Hire bikes from Mr Hugo (love that man) and ride around the Maipu district, it's just a short bus ride from the main town. If you want to go to the other wine regions, we hired a driver so we could drink, or hop on a tour. I'm vegan / gluten free (can digest a little fish), and we ate here:

BROD - bakery (with two dots on the O) was great.

Azafran Restaurant - ask to dine in the cellar! Must book

Francis Mallman's 1884 restaurant - must book, very famous Argentinian chef. Stunning restaurant, sit outside if the weather is nice.

Down the main stretch, there are heaps of restaurants, quite touristy and Mendoza town itself is quite dead; all the vineyards are further out. If you only have two days (as in two full days) the wine tour definitely and then agree with the hiking or horse back riding (if you're not too hungover...!)

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
240 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

OK my apologies but I have to jump into this one, @lulullama

It is great to hear you're a returning visitor with several favorite sport. You must be one of those very cool and positive minded travellers who enjoy everything, and that's fantastic. However, for someone who is only coming to Mendoza for 2 days, I would say the following things about your recommendations:

"We have done Mendoza a few times. Hire bikes from Mr Hugo (love that man) and ride around the Maipu district, it's just a short bus ride from the main town."

Though the man might be a character, the bikes are horrendous and the area not that pretty, it is a main road full of trucks, the bus ride to get to Maipu is also not the most scenic, and the wineries in the area...there are some good ones and some not so good ones. What they all have in common is that they will make you wait to get in, so next thing you know your day is gone and you only hit 2 wineries (unless you are extremely organized).

"BROD - bakery (with two dots on the O) was great".

It is nice, they only do brunch on weekends, though.

"Azafran Restaurant - ask to dine in the cellar! Must book"

Nice ...service is hit and miss (as in you miight have to wait forever to get service) and the place itself is so so ...for the price, which is on the steep side of things.

"Francis Mallman's 1884 restaurant - must book, very famous Argentinian chef. Stunning restaurant, sit outside if the weather is nice"

Completely overrated. It is a good restaurant but not on the top of my list. If you want to do the Mallman thing, then go to his restaurant in Valle de Uco (siete fuegos); or go to his wife's restaurant downtown (maria antonieta), I believe you'll enjoy a better meal.

If you only have 2 days a wine tour is a good idea but another option is to go eat lunch at a winery (now this is cool as you get all the flavors, the slow experience and the beautiful scenery).

My 2 cents! Val

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
694 posts
315 reviews
4. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

Valeria, thank you. Almost went to Mendoza and still might.

What is the best time of year to be in Mendoza? We may want to visit Santiago de Chili early next year Jan/Feb but are flexible.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
240 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

The good thing about Mendoza is that you can really visit all year round. Even in winter, when it is cold, it is still sunny so it warms up during the day allowing you to pretty much do everything. If you are into wine, you can come to Mendoza all year round. Sightseeing, horseback riding, cycling, you can also do all year round. Having said that, depending on what you want to do, if you want to swim in the lake, well, Dec to early May would work. If you are crossing the border from Chile by land try to avoid June-August. Hope this helps!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
694 posts
315 reviews
6. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

Oh yes, this helps, thank you very much. No we won't cross the mountains in June-August, more like Jan/Feb.

The year round part is good to know. Well be visiting friends in Santiago and have been in Chili and Argentina before (Patagonia, BA etc), but never Mendoza. Thank again.

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
240 posts
53 reviews
7. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

No problem!

Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

you have some great tips..we are visiting Mendoza in febuary for a week..is that too long? we hope to rent an Air BnB and do wine tours with a driver..also like to hike..although i think it will be v hot then..

i will take any suggestions you can give me..there are 6 of us travelling!

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
240 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

@Roxanne o - A week is perfect! I would just make sure to reserve ahead of time as February is high season.

Some ideas:

-Find an airbnb with a pool (ask me)

-Day 1: getting to know the area, dinner and drinks at a nice patio restaurant

-Day 2: Wine tour of Lujan de Cuyo

-Day 3: Spa Day at the hot springs

-Day 4: Wine Tour of Valle de Uco (high end wines)

-Day 5: Mountain tour with a lunch or tea stop at the Potrerillos Hotel restaurant

-Day 6: Relax at the pool, walk to a vineyard; in the evening, sunset horseback riding with Argentine bbq.

Voila!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Must see things in Mendoza

Valeria, can you please recommend an AirBnB? We will be in mendoza for 3 days in early january

Reply to: Must see things in Mendoza
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted