We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salta to san pedro de atacama

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Salta to san pedro de atacama

Hi,

In january we are visting Salta and surroundings.we have around 4 days where we would like to visit san pedro de atacama. I read about the busses, but how epensive are transfers back and forth and how much time do they take? Any suggestions for companies? Or should we do this differently? Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Province of Salta, Argentina
Argentina
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salta to san pedro de atacama

January? That is rainy season... and I know we are talking about Atacama, the driest desert in the world, but last year there was a bad flood, mud and water everywhere... On the other hand... NW is much more interesting than SPA, specially that season...

Warm regards,

Angie

Argentina
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salta to san pedro de atacama

Hi there,

The coach from Salta to San Pedro takes about 11 hours and runs just once a day. With Andesmar buses it leaves at 1am. There are also the companies Pulman and Geminis who do the trip, although not sure of the times (website are no use either -you'll have to ask in person at the bus station when you arrive). Prices range from about AR $750-1000.

Use http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/ to look at coach times (although not all bus companies appear).

And yes, Angie is right that during January it is rainy season. Buses are still running, but the floods can get quite bad here so journeys can get cancelled. I would see how it goes when you get here and just play it by ear. Don't book anything in advance.

San Pedro is a great place, but there is also so much to see in the region around Salta, so spending another 4 days there wouldn't be the worst thing! Make sure you visit the Valles Calchaquíes, which are just beautiful. If you want more info about Salta and the valleys, I've written about it on my website (theminiexplorer.com) so feel free to have a look if it could be of use!

Happy travel planning! :)

Mentioned in this post
Salta
Salta
Province of Salta, Argentina
San Pedro
San Pedro
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
3. Re: Salta to san pedro de atacama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2016, 12:16