We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day itinerary

J D
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Half day itinerary

We'll (husband and I) have half a Tuesday in Phoenix in early May, and am trying to work out a feasible itinerary. I understand that it all comes down to our own interests and pace, but would just like other opinions please, especially as we're not sure how much time to allow for each activity, or what weekday traffic is like.

The only things that are more or less set are that we will start the day at Hampton Inn Tempe, and are hoping to arrive in Sedona by 6pm (we'll have a rental car). My plan was to visit the Desert Botanical Gardens, the Heard Museum and Taliesin West. Would we even have enough time to do all three? What time would we need to start heading out of Phoenix to avoid traffic? If my husband has little interest in art, history or architecture, which out of the Heard Museum and Taliesin West would have more to offer him?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Tempe
Tempe
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Taliesin West
Taliesin West
3,557 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Heard Museum
Heard Museum
2,518 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
7 replies to this topic
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day itinerary

You certainly cannot do all 3 in a half a day. The Desert Botanical Garden would be ideal and is very close. Its a small park with excellent guides to the various sites to see in the park.

When we first bought our place in AZ 20 years ago I put off going to Taliesin West as my hubby really wasn't interested in architecture. We had guests that wanted to see it so we went. It's amazing and we both loved it. So very interesting and beautiful in a spectacular setting. Have been back several times now. I think this would be your best bet. You have to arrange a tour so go to the website and see the times offered on the day you will be there. You can take your tour and then head from there to Sedona, stopping for lunch at Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City. Its just off exit 242 from I-17 on your way to Sedona. Definitely have a piece of pie

Mentioned in this post
Desert Botanical Garden
Desert Botanical Garden
7,462 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Taliesin West
Taliesin West
3,557 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Rock Springs Cafe
Rock Springs Cafe
781 Reviews
Black Canyon City, AZ
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day itinerary

I would start at Desert Botanical Garden as soon as they open in the morning and enjoy it before it gets too warm. There is a pretty good restaurant there as well for brunch and to save time.

After that I would start working my way north to either The Heard Museum or The Musical Instrument Museum. You can gauge your time after that, but I think by then you'll be ready for a late lunch and to head out to Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Desert Botanical Garden
Desert Botanical Garden
7,462 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day itinerary

How long will you be staying in Sedona? You may want to just visit the Desert Botanical Garden (early in the morning as mentioned above) and then head right to Sedona, stopping at the cafe along the way. That would give you a bit more time in Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Desert Botanical Garden
Desert Botanical Garden
7,462 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
131 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day itinerary

I agree with the 3 replays . I would say desert botanical garden your close by there it's on the border of Temppe and one of the replays mentioned the musical instrument museum this is a good choice wether you are not a big music person it's 1st class and close to the 17 highway that you take to Sedona so there will be no back tracking. The heard museum you will be back tracking and may hit some traffic and I would say musical instrument museum is a great museum and plenty to see and it also will have a resturant

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
J D
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half day itinerary

Thank you all for your helpful replies! The hubby has now decided to tell me after 11 years that he once wanted to be an architect when he was younger. So we will head to the Desert Botanical Garden early in the morning, and then I'm leaning towards just walking around Old Town Scottsdale for a bit, before heading to Taliesin West and on to Sedona. That way we'll actually see a bit of the city, be able to grab some lunch, and keep the backtracking to a minimum.

I did toy with the idea of the Musical Instrument Museum because it is so well reviewed and not much of a detour, but neither of us have any more than a very basic interest in music or instruments and this may sound silly, but it just didn't strike me as a uniquely American experience, while the other options offer something quite different to home. I don't doubt that it is excellent though!

We will only be in Sedona for that evening and half the following day, which I know is blasphemous when both Phoenix and Sedona are worth much more time than I've budgeted. Our focus this trip (our first) is the Grand Canyon and the national parks of Utah, and limited annual leave means something has to give. Half days are better than no days :)

Edited: 26 March 2018, 20:28
Mentioned in this post
Desert Botanical Garden
Desert Botanical Garden
7,462 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Old Town Scottsdale
Old Town Scottsdale
4,665 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Taliesin West
Taliesin West
3,557 Reviews
Scottsdale, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Musical Instrument Museum
Musical Instrument Museum
5,345 Reviews
Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Utah
Utah
United States
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half day itinerary

Sounds good. Just make sure to book your tour time at Taliesin.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,370 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half day itinerary

Since you have so little time at Sedona, I’d leave PHX earlier and get to Sedona in time for another half day there.

You’ll thank me later.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Half day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted