We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a January Holiday

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
Planning a January Holiday

Hello,

The Misses and I, both 31, will be visiting Prescott on holiday for a week starting January 21st. While this date is 7 months away I am in the planning process and was wondering on a few things.

Our budget for the week, not including lodging, will be $800. Will this be enough, or should we plan for more? What we enjoy doing is sight seeing, we would like to also enjoy whiskey row as well as the meadery and also plan a trip to Jerome. We are going on the trip for relaxation and to get away from the city of Tucson for a while. We would like to see some museums and potentially go hiking should weather permit.

What is the normal weather like late January?

I have not booked a reservation yet, but I am leaning towards staying at Forest Villas Hotel ( https://www.forestvillas.com/ ) do you have any feedback on that, or should I stay elsewhere?

I would also like your opinions on getting out of our comfort zone, which is meeting new people. We are really introverted and are looking to change that for our week away. Where is the best area to meet friendly people who can tell us about the city?

10 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Planning a January Holiday

Lastly, we enjoy long scenic drives since we are photographers. Any advice on that?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,081 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Planning a January Holiday

IMO, Prescott for a week is perhaps too much. I have been there many times. I would say 2-3 days is plenty, then time in Jerome, Cottonwood and Sedona. Daytime temps will be 50s, possibly low 60s, cold at night.

I would not suggest driving through the mountains to Jerome or Cottonwood. Check local weather. Snow and/or ice are possible in the mountains.

Forest Villas looks very nice as long as you realize it sits on the highway and isn't in the forest.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,813 posts
250 reviews
3. Re: Planning a January Holiday

Agreeing that a week in Prescott in January is probably twice as much time as you need. Compliment it with time in Sedona and the Verde Valley. You’ll be almost 1,000 feet lower and that will convert to warmer temperatures and less chances of snow. No guarantees of course.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Planning a January Holiday

Thank you both. My map program lists the direct 4 hour route from Tucson and also an 8 hour detour route that goes through the Superstition Wilderness and such. Lists cities of Superior, Globe, Khols Ranch , Starvalley and Pine.

Is the scenic route worth it from Tucson or should I take the more direct I-10 to I-17 route?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,813 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: Planning a January Holiday

Add 30% to any map app drive time estimate. Days are short in January and you do not want to arrive in Prescott in darkness.

Edited: 19 June 2018, 08:28
Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Planning a January Holiday

We stayed there for a month this summer and found plenty to do. My husband found some new trails, and I enjoyed shopping, the Farmer's Market on Saturday, another summer event at Courthouse Square, and both libraries Prescott and PV. (writing a report). The libraries there are not like those I have seen before in that both have coffee shops, one with short hours though. They also host events for all different ages. (Some people there were friendly.) I guess you would find this at true coffee shops too.

Yavapai College and the Chamber also have special events for various age groups.

Then there's shopping in big box stores which is a treat for me. We hit the major food stores (Costco, Trader Joe's, and Sproutt's). I spent a few hours at the Mall.

If you like dining out there is a wide variety of food and price ranges. We went to three Thai and three Mexican restaurants and celebrated Father's Day the night before at Papa's Italian Restaurant. (Happy Hubby) People at were friendly there also.

The only thing is that I have friends who live there, and they do get snow in winter. I would check the weather forecast at Accuweather and try to determine if it would be better to go when it is warm. I would go when it is hot and enjoy the cooler temps!

I almost hate to mention this because I'm afraid everyone will want to go there.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Planning a January Holiday

I enjoy the cold weather, as it is currently 107 degrees where I live in Tucson. Snow would be refreshing. The amount of snow fall does it require chains? And are there any wineries in Prescott?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,813 posts
250 reviews
8. Re: Planning a January Holiday

Don’t plan to bring or use chains. If the snow is that bad, it doesn’t last long. Everything comes to a halt. Roads close.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Planning a January Holiday

No, it's not like the mountains. I noticed snow shovels, which a lot of people would rather avoid.. If you are in a hotel, that won't be a problem. I believe the main roads would be cleared pretty soon.

If you are thinking of the scenic route, check the weather.

You could easily visit Sedona from there and possibly Flagstaff too depending on the weather.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Planning a January Holiday

Hi David-I have been to Prescott many times in January and I love it. In fact, I would suggest that you keep your plans for the entire week based out of Prescott and each day do trips to other nearby towns. I noticed that you are a photographer as I am. I also noticed that you’re staying at my favorite hotel (forest villas). My suggestion is this-contact the hotel directly and inform them that you’ll be staying an entire week. Ask them about their suites with a fireplace. Also, make sure that you ask them to help you prepare an itinerary of places to visit with your camera. They are really good at doing this. Every time I go, I take my camera with me and there are many unique things on the hotel grounds to photograph (My favorite is the cascading Fountain and the incredible sunsets). The hotel sits on top of the hill and has gorgeous views of the Bradshaw mountains. If you get a room on the east side of the hotel, facing the mountains, you will get the most amazing sunrises and some incredible photographs. I believe that every room at this hotel features a private balcony which will make it easier for you to capture many beautiful pictures. I also noticed that you enjoyed need. The superstition meadery is one of my favorites. The tapas are really nice as are their award winning meads. As far as sticking to your budget, this hotel has a really good breakfast in the morning which is free. Across the street, there is Trader Joe’s and Costco. Many options to grab something quick, relatively healthy, and inexpensive to stay on your budget. And my favorite thing to do when I’m there is to order pizza from Cosco get a bottle of wine from the hotel, ask them to fire up the fire pits outside and enjoy pizza and wine under the stars. It really does not get more relaxing than this. I hope you enjoy Prescott. if you have any questions about Precott let me know.

Reply to: Planning a January Holiday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Prescott