We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?

Boston...
Level Contributor
309 posts
What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

My partner and I have never been to either area or in the southwest in general. What are some must haves that we should bring? We plan on hiking to Indian Garden at GC and also do a hike or two in Sedona. My partner is worried about bugs, snakes and bears. I’m worried about everything else, lol! Thanks in advance.

31 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

I believe I answered one of your other threads where you said you couldn't do Walnut Canyon because of the steps. If you couldn't do WC then you definitely shouldn't be attempting to hike to Indian Gardens. It is longer, far more aerobic and has erosion controls which are worse than steps (higher).

I don't recall when you are coming. Currently bugs are a problem but usually aren't an issue. The monsoons were crazy this years and the wet has brought a variety of biting bugs. So bring bug spray (or pick some up at Walmart). Snakes - just given them wide berth if you see one. At least the rattlesnakes tend to rattle unlike the copperheads you have when hiking at your home. And the NE does have timber rattlers although not in the same quantity ;) Typically, the snakes don't like people and you are likely to be on popular, well-traveled trails so you might see one but probably not. Bears - that would be rare on the South Rim and Sedona. A couple of years ago 2019 or maybe 2018 there were sightings near Sedona. So again, possible but unlikely. Scorpions - just shake out your shoes/boots just like you would for the recluses back home.

Make sure you bring a water bottle and keep sipping. Just breathing out here dehydrates you without you realizing it. You will need it for your hikes/walking. The Grand Canyon does not sell disposable water bottles.

What is the "everything else" you are worried about?

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
78,584 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
2. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

The critters you fear are far more fearful of you than you are of them. In 25 years here in Sedona, I’ve seen one bear, a handful of snakes and one mountain lion. All we’re running away.

Boston...
Level Contributor
309 posts
3. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

Yes, you had previously commented on a post of mine. My mistake, we’re not hiking to Indian Gardens, we’re going to the three mile resthouse. After watching several videos about the hike, and talking to a friend, I’m relatively confident that I can do the hike. At the 1.5 rest house we will decide if we will proceed further. Might only get to the 1st or 2nd tunnel and turn around. Definitely won’t do more than I know I can handle. Had cortisone shots in both knees, feeling pretty good now. We will be in GC this coming Sunday mid morning. Flying into PHX Saturday evening, driving to a hotel at Happy Valley for the night. We can stop at Walnut canyon to see what it’s about Sunday morning on our way to GC. Only wanted to make one stop on our way to GC. Now we’re not sure if we should stop at Wupatki or WC. Monday September 27 is when we will hike the Bright Angel trail. Concerned about the weather now. Hopefully before dusk we can walk a bit of the Rim trail or wait until Tuesday morning before we leave GC. We were concerned about cougars, bears and snakes while hiking in Sedona. Will bug spray be necessary next week in Sedona? So far we have a Pink jeep tour set up for Weds mid morning. We’d also like to visit Jerome as well as a few relatively flatter trails in Sedona. Also of course some shopping for items to bring home. Where is the most affordable place to purchase Native American artwork such as pottery and kachina dolls? Also would like to bring back a collectible doll dressed in Native American clothing for our Granddaughter who collects dolls from our travels. Thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
309 posts
4. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

Bears, snakes and cougars are what we’re really concerned with on trails. Would it be helpful to have bear spray? Thank you. What types of snacks/food should we carry with us on our hikes? We’ll have plenty of water and will tote our trash back with us. What about restrooms on trails in Sedona? Thank you

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
78,584 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
5. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

Trails around Sedona have portapotties at the trailheads. If you think you’ll need to relieve yourself on the trail, step off behind a convenient bush or tree. LEAVE NO TRACE. Bring tissue and a plastic bag to dispose in a proper container when you get back to your car.

If you were hesitant about Walnut Canyon, then you have no business going below the rim at Grand Canyon National Park.

You’ll see more of the Grand Canyon by walking horizontally along the rim than you will by climbing vertically below it.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
19,861 posts
108 reviews
97 helpful votes
6. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

You should stay along the rim. The steepest descent and ascent is on the beginning of Bright Angel Trail. If you were intimidated by the steps at Walnut Canyon, hiking down at Bright Angel is not for you.

You will not encounter bears or cougars at GCNP. Snakes are rarely seen, and they stay away from well traveled trails.

Boston...
Level Contributor
309 posts
7. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

Thank you. Is bug spray needed this time of year? As far as flat walkable trails, what would recommend in Sedona? We will be meeting up with a friend in Sedona who is unable to climb but will still like to enjoy walking amongst the Sedona Red Rocks.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
78,584 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
8. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

Avon Skin So Soft Bug season is coming to an end.

Boston...
Level Contributor
309 posts
9. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

We won’t do more then we think we can as we don’t want to injure ourselves or be a burden to others. After watching YouTube videos of Walnut Creek, I’m confident it’s something we can do. We don’t know whether Walnut Creek or Wupatki is where we should stop on our way to GC. It was recommended to stop at Cameron trading post for Native American pottery. Are there other places as well?

Thank you

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
78,584 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
10. Re: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Save

I prefer the diversity of Wupatki/Sunset Crater as a detour on the way to Grand Canyon National Park. Allow most of 3 hours so you can walk and explore a few of the ruins sites. The main Pueblo is a must.

Cameron Trading Post is an historic Post. Plenty of shopping. The real museum quality products are in the out building. May or may not be open. It’s also the last option for food and fuel before you get to the park.

Searching for mediocre food inside the park is a huge waste of time.

Reply to: What are “must haves” in Sedona and GC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.