We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January weather prep in Corcovado Park

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
January weather prep in Corcovado Park

We will be in Corcovado with cameras doing a day tour. What kind of attire, especially shoes, should we wear, and what precautions do we need with our camera equipment? Not sure how rainy and muddy it will likely be. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January weather prep in Corcovado Park

We were at Drake Bay and did the Corcovado tour less than a week ago. It rained for two days before our arrival but we enjoyed two sunny days. The trails were a bit muddy but nothing compared to the Rio Celeste trails (if you also plan to go to that part of Costa Rica..). We had cross amphibian shoes (hiking shoes that are breathable and could be worn without socks). They worked really well for all terrains.

Cameras - obviously you want to prepare for rains. A waterproof pouch for smartphone... waterproof GoPro etc.

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Rio Celeste
Rio Celeste
1,341 Reviews
Tenorio Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January weather prep in Corcovado Park

Thanks! What kind of shoes did you have -- were they like the Chaco brand that REI has?

Edited: 15 January 2018, 02:00
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January weather prep in Corcovado Park

Thanks! What kind of shoes did you have -- were they like the Chaco brand that REI has?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January weather prep in Corcovado Park

I'm concerned about Rio Celeste. I've been there and know about the mud. What about the little bridges? Were they intact or did you forge streams?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January weather prep in Corcovado Park

Correct. I had both Chaco and Salomon amphibian shoes from REI for this trip. Salomon drained water faster but it did not fit well and caused friction blisters on the second day of the trip. My two daughters had Chaco and they were happy with their shoes although water did not drain/dry as fast.

Rio Celeste - Epic mud bath .. we had pictures to show how people were stuck in muds. Some people rented rain boots for the trail but, personally, I do not think that is wise. If you plan to hike the complete trail, as we did, the mud would get to you no matter what.

The one-person capacity bridges were all open. They were lovely. Only the area near the waterfalls was flooded when we were there and a park ranger stationed there to monitor the situation.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January weather prep in Corcovado Park

Thanks!

Reply to: January weather prep in Corcovado Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;