We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

I am hoping to go down to Costa Rica in October or November and this time, getting to Drake Bay for some scuba diving. I know there are commuter planes that go down there from San Jose. But if it's much cheaper to drive, I may rent a car.

Wondering if any of you have driven from San Jose to Drake Bay area and back during those months and if this is recommended.

Also, would appreciate some places to stay in Drake Bay assuming I don't need top luxury, just basic and clean.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Cano Island
Islands, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Naturaseekers
Forests, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,274 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

Not true that rental car will be cheaper. Count in at least 2 nights that you will need to sleep on the way to and from Drake Bay, and that the car will be useless while at Drake Bay, I am sure flying in and out is much much cheaper option. Not to mention that October is in the height of the rainfall season, road to and from DB is impassable most of the month.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

I love the Osa, but I would characterize driving to Drake in October as sheer madness. Not possible due to rain. Fly if you absolutely must go there in Oct/Nov. better yet go a different month or go somewhere like Belize or Honduras or the Yucatan during Oct to get your dive on.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Honduras
Honduras
Central America
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

Thanks for all your responses. Yes I think I'm going to fly it instead of the road route.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

Check the Nature Air website and I think you can find some good fares. And yes, flying is the best option.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

Sansa also offers fligths to Drake Bay! For that season, I not very sure about getting by car, the weather can be a little complicated

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

Hi. I live in Drake Bay. These past months, we have had really sunny mornings and some rain in the afternoon. But, the past few days have been absolutely sunny. Depending on your budget, I would recommend staying at the new Drake Bay Getaway Resort (20% grand opening special discount on lodging with tree meals per day). I also recommend Martina's Place and Las Cotingas if you want only a place to stay that includes breakfast.

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
Drake Bay Getaway Resort
216 Reviews
Drake Bay, Costa Rica
7. Re: Getting To Drake Bay From San Jose Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 12:15
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay