We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

return to CR--confusing options

dallas, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
return to CR--confusing options

My husband and I were there 20 yrs ago, and are returning in December.

Here is the idea I have:

go from SJO to San Gerardo de Dota for birding--stay 2 nites

from there to Drake Bay (Corcovado, Cano Island, etc.)--stay 3-4 nites

airplane from Drake area back to San Jose--do an overnite trip of 2 days to Tortuguero

leave SJO

Does this sound doable?

I was ready to rent a car--we have driven in New Zealand, Italy, France, Caribbean--but I am a bit worried about all of the talk about the tire-slashing in CR. This is rather dissuading me form car rental. My husband and i are seniors and we certainly would be identified as tourists. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........the other option in shuttles or buses, i guess--between SJ and San Gerardo and then San Gerardo and Drake. Can anyone make a recommendation on this transportation?

thanks a bunch

Cano Island
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Islands
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails, Forests
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: return to CR--confusing options

Please do not worry about driving or renting a car...honestly I have had not heard that issue with tires in many yesrs...just fommon sense...

for your itinerary...maybe shuttles and some privates services...is a small rent a car SOLID not the best...but in your case will work sincecthey have offices in SJO And can return the car in Drake or Puerto Jimenes...

Welcome back...

Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,112 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: return to CR--confusing options

Although renting a car and driving in Costa Rica is much easier and safer nowadays, for your itinerary (BTW, and excellent one) I would go with a private driver. You will need only 2 transfers: from SJO to San Gerardo de Dota (all of birding there is on foot) and from San Gerardo de Dota to Sierpe. You will not need a car in Drake Bay. If the cost of private driver will be too high, your only other option is Solid Rental Car which has offices both at SJO and in Dominical; be aware that drop off fee might be costly. Also the PanAm Hwy 2 is like driving in French Alps ... with possible torrential rain or dense fog in the afternoon.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: return to CR--confusing options

I saw your schedule fine, theres a good rest leaving Drake Bay to San Jose by plane.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
631 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: return to CR--confusing options

My husband and I have been vacationing in Costa Rica for 12 years for a total of 14 times. We have rented a car every single time and have never had a tire slashed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: return to CR--confusing options

I would say do shuttles instead of a rental because the car would be more trouble than it's worth other than travel days. There is no rental agency in Drake for you to return the car, etcetera. We always rent a car when visiting Costa Rica, except when traveling to the Osa.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: return to CR--confusing options

Hi. I live in Drake Bay. Based on your trip schedule, I would suggest flying from San Jose to Drake Bay and return. It takes approximately 8 hours to drive to Drake Bay from San Jose. It is a really nice and adventurous ride.

New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: return to CR--confusing options

There are more rent a cars with offices in Dominical and San Jose.

I use Hertz all the time with no issues.

More than 10 times now!!!

8. Re: return to CR--confusing options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2015, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Drake Bay
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question