We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

I have found quite a few inexpensive places in San Pedro, ~ $10 - $15 for a room with private bath, but I'd like some real life recommendations. And what area is best. I just need it for a day or two, before a homestay with a Spanish school, and I'd like to be in a safe, central location.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
14 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Lots of the cheaper places are in the area around the main dock (often called 'the Pana dock') which is an area that I try to avoid because of the sort of tourist that frequents that area. I'd look into the cheaper rooms at Sak'cari and Mikaso (latter has a nice share kitchen) - right on the lake and close to restaurants.

https://www.hotel-sakcari.com/

http://mikasohotel.com/about-mikaso/

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

There are a few places with private bath, hot water, TV, and decent wifi, some with shared kitchen, for 80-100Q. Which are you looking at?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Along with the two places that Stacy mentioned above, I'm looking at Hotel y Restaurante Playa Linda, Guest House San Pedro, and Hotel Don Chema.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

As soon as you walk it up the small street from the dock, take the first left onto the main drag. A bit nire than half way up you'll see a grinds with the path on the right side. The hotel is right on the left of the tie da and it's called casa Lola. I'll stayed here my last 3 trips to San Pedro. Single is 100q. I think doula is 125q. This hotel is a score. Ask for Hugo. And he will show you the rooms. Cerry secure, clean and close to everything. Hugo takes pride in his hotel. Has wifi and a small tv. Usually 2 or 3 beds and the rooms are big. It's directly across from the lake wth great views of Indian nose. I. Eli eitsnie4 floors. All the rooms upstairs are great but you may be lucky enough tiger a corner room. This is not a party type hotel. I find the guests to be laid back. Hammock outside of every room. Common areas on every floor. I booked again for next month and can't wait. Go take a look and decide. Tell him the gringo con pelo largo suggested the place. Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy your time there.

Edited: 16 December 2017, 12:41
Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Indian Nose
Indian Nose
181 Reviews
San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala
New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Sorry spell check got me. Tienda on right hand side of the street and casa Lola is right next door. Great place.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Playa Linda is NOT centrally located, and I don't think Don Chema is either. Never heard of the other one. Sakcari is the nicest place in town (also the most expensive) but is more centrally located. Besides Casa Lola, you'll also find Nahual Maya and San Antonio on that main drag.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Sakcari
Hotel Sakcari
223 Reviews
San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Wow, Sak'cari's prices have continued to rise - I just checked and the garden rooms are up to 300 q/$40. Those used to be budget rooms. They've made a lot of nice improvements, though, and the kayaks and pool are perks. Mikaso has a range still from dorm rooms for $8 to larger view rooms.

Alma, Michigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

You might like Hotel tepepu Kaan (sp?). It is basic but clean and inexpensive.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

Okay, how about these places: Hospedaje Lolita, Guest House San Pedro, or Hotel Jarachik?

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?

In my three or four trips to San Pedro, one thing I found out, like anywhere else, there are a few hotels with a partying type of atmosphere. These are places I wish to avoid. I'm far from a prude, but I just wanted a clean, quiet and safe place to stay.

You're asking for real life recommendations. DC_in_MD mentioned, Hotel San Antonio, and after research, this was my choice for my first trip to San Pedro. Unfortunately, when I went to inquire about a room it was full. My opinion after speaking with the manager and checking out the rooms and exterior was very positive and met my requirements. I walked back a bit and found Casa Lola. I love it there. Really, 100Q per night for this hotel is a bargain. Family run, clean, big private rooms, lake views, excellent staff and close to everything but far enough away to be peaceful. I had a friend in Sumpango call and reserve a room for me for my trip there This upcoming January. I remember only one time that the hotel was full and that was a weekend last January .

I found that Hopefulist has a wealth of knowledge, and experience in San Pedro and Antigua. I always read her reviews and comments, and have had nothing but positive experiences when heeding her advice. So, if you want to splurge for a couple of nights check out Sakcari.

You'll understand more when you get there, and will see hotels on all ends of the spectrum. I've walked that town many times, and have seen hotels and hostels packed with partying people and others with a quiet, tranquil atmosphere. Good luck, and I'm sure you will enjoy the town. It's a lot of fun and quite inexpensive. I spend a lot less money in San Pedro than I do in Antigua.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Reply to: Recommendation for inexpensive room in San Pedro?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro La Laguna
More San Pedro La Laguna Topics