We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
678 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

If I reach Dachau Camp at 9am, is 2 hrs sufficient?

Will be visiting in End Feb. Not sure if it still snow there.

I may need to rush for train at Munich HBF 12.15pm.

Thank you

13 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
445 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

In my opinion a visit in Dachau is nothing to squeeze into an itinerary. What you will see, your thought and feeling after, won't match with a hectic ride to Munich Hbf. Try to visit the concentration camp the day before. 2 hours are sufficient.

Edited: 13 December 2016, 18:47
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

Although I don't recommend rushing through Dachau, 2 hours is sufficient IMO. My husband and I visited in June 2015 and probably spent a little more than that there and we took our time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
678 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

The previous 2 days will be occupied by Fussen and Zugspitze.

The day initially is free so I thought slot this in....

I like Auschwitz camp and wonder if the size of this camp is comparable as Auschwitz?

I took about 2hrs for that.

Germany
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

Nice to see you liked Auschwitz, you'll surely enjoy Dachau though only 40000 were killed there which compares badly to the 1 to 1.5 million in Auschwitz., so don't be disappointed.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

Well, it's better than nothing. Make sure you have your connection back to Munich central station at hand, though, and allow for some spare time (local trains are often delayed). You should also set an alarm or something - you may forget about your train connection when you're at the memorial.

I don't agree that the "hectic" train ride back to Munich is not the right thing after your visit. On the contrary, I found it reassuring to experience that this time is really in the past, and that our daily life today is different. Yes, you will still be thoughtful during your train ride. But you can be. No-one is forcing you to read anything. You can just sit there and look out of the window.

I've done it, too. Visited a somewhat unsettling site, I mean, and I've not done anything during the train ride.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
70 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

I think if you can't pay this special place the respect it really deserves - by doing a fly bye rush job, it's probably not the place to visit, you need to consider your reasons for visiting, not just to tick something off, like a few replies have said, its quite an emotional/thought provoking place, more for reverence and reflection and should be looked at in a respectful way. You could get there grab a tour or an audio and manage to cover all the areas but you'd be doing yourself and the history of the place a slight. IMO.

Sorry not meant to offend but places like this and others like Wansee Haus, Normandy cemeteries are different from the Berlin Wall or checkpoint charlie.

7. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 December 2016, 14:35

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

My husband I did a tour from Munich, the train takes about 35 mins and there is then a short bus ride to the concentration camp. All up the tour took about 5 hours, from when we left Munich to arrived back in Munich.

This is not something to rush through, it's very emotional, thought provoking and so much to see and take in. While there is lots to see and read, it is also a place to take some time out and reflect on what happened, how the world and Germany has changed in the time since, what it must've been like to be sent to a camp for so many reasons, not just your nationality.

So the moral to my response, is take the time, it deserves the time

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

When people are not native English speakers, go easy on them for their choices of words. In this instance, the word "like". Pretty sure the OP doesn't mean they "liked" a concentration camp as in, they enjoyed it, but were lacking a better word to use. Perhaps they meant they were emotionally moved and touched by seeing the atrocities.

If someone only has 2 hours there, that is all they have. More would be better, but they don't have it. They can be still be respectful of what they are seeing, and can use the time on their train later on reflecting on what they saw.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
678 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?

Thanks Bornheimgirl for the explanation.

When we were in Auschwitz, we were daunted and emotional. That was also our first time learning about WWII in europe. Our guide was very knowledgeable and by listening to his commentary, it is an good way to learn from the history, at least for me. We learned the importance of peace and we "enjoy" the visit.

I wish to visit the camp but I do not have much time.That's why I want to visit if time allow, rather than wasting the time sleeping late or having a long breakfast etc...

My question is actually seeking advise if allocate 2 hrs is sufficient? If is not, then either I will allow more time if possible or will give a miss and come back if I ever have a chance in Munich again.

I thought Tripadvisor is a forum to share opinion, reviews and seek for advise, not some place picking up other members grammer or vocab.

Reply to: Is 2 hours sufficient for Dachau Concentration Camp?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dachau