We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Tax

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Tax

Unfortunately I had to cancel my planned flight in June due to my sister suddenly being taken seriously ill. This resulted in claims being made to my Holiday Insurance company. I hadn’t known about this airport tax clause till my brother in law told me about it. When you claim refunds ,most airlines say that the ticket price is not refundable. They omit to tell you that the tax is!! The insurance companies don’t refund this to you, Its up to you to write to the airline. I have just received a cheque for £26 from Jet 2..Not a fortune but better in my bank than theirs?? I believe they make a fortune out of people who don’t bother!

“Why are airport taxes refundable?

Airport taxes are imposed by governments and local authorities. Airlines companies collect these taxes for the government. However, these taxes need only to be collected if a passenger effectively takes the flight.

If the passenger did not take his flight, whatever the reason may be, no taxes are to be levied.

Since the taxes were already paid at the time the passenger paid for his ticket, airlines keep the money for themselves.

The airline is under no obligation to systematically reimburse passenger with the amount of airport taxes they paid if passengers don’t actually claim it.”

11 replies to this topic
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
17,641 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Tax

And people slag Ryanair off: https:/…4-4

Then on the other hand they do charge a Tax refund admin fee of £17.00

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Tax

I'm not being charged any admin fee! £17 is extortionate !!

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Tax

I've had to cancel two flights in the past couple of months. Each time there was no admin fee applicable with easyjet and I got the full amount of the tax refund.

scotland
Level Contributor
20,184 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Tax

If you have paid for a flight you also have paid Air Passenger Duty (APD) which you are entitled to get a refund on ...as you didnt fly ,?

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Tax

I presumed Sheilamary meant APD when she mentioned tax. Yes it was APD that I got back.

scotland
Level Contributor
20,184 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Tax

Another tax rip off is when you buy something at the airport ...( boarding card plz )... the vat is/can reclaimed by the shop /company

m4f
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Tax

Sheilamary;

Sorry to hear about a family illness and you missing a trip to Nerja. Thanks for bringing the tax refund information to the forum. I didn't realize it was refundable by the airline.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Tax

Is there any way of knowing in advance how much the refund would be. If Ryanair are taking most of it, it might not be worth the bother.

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Tax

You only pay APD one way, not return. On my flights with EJ it was £13 so definitely not worth claiming from Ryanair, you would lose £4!! EJ don't charge and I did it easily through their online chat.

Edited: 20 July 2018, 05:29
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
17,641 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Tax

https:/…rates-for-flights-starting-in-the-uk

Reply to: Airport Tax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nerja