We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family seeking information on mountain trails and

Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Family seeking information on mountain trails and

We are travelling from Ireland to Transalvania in July. We have two boys aged 9 & 10. We like to go on adventure holidays and enjoy unique places,sights and experiences. Can anyone reccomend places to see (beside Draculas castle), accomadation in the woods and to experience the culture and people of Transalvania?

Baia Mare, Romania
Level Contributor
16 posts
1. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

Transylvania is a large area so maybe if you could narrow it down.

Were will you be arriving in Romania?

What kinds of things would you like to see?

How remote would you like to be?

How long will you be staying?

Once the above has been answered i'm sure people will give you some ideas.

You might want to take some anti bear spray with you. ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19403904/ )

Also Romania is currently in a heat wave ( weatheronline.co.uk/feature/2007/06/28_b1.htm )

look forward to your answers and giving you some ideas.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

i would get a fodor's or Frommer's travel guide. they are very good. i always have one with me.

I beleiev it would be hard for someone to start typing so much about places to visit in Transylvania.It's a large area and har to put them together.

Ireland
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

Thanks forthe replies.

Here are the answers to some of your questions:

Were will you be arriving in Romania?

A. We arrive next week in to Bucharest airport

What kinds of things would you like to see?

A. We would love to see bears in the mountains and stay in a guesthouse that is secluded-We tried Draculas in but it was booked out. This place was in teh forest.

How remote would you like to be?

A. We would like a remote place but not to be staying on our own. Perhaps a lodge or remote hotel with mountain/forestviews and pleanty of adventurous things to do.

How long will you be staying?

A. 2 Weeks

Thanks again

From Ireland

Baia Mare, Romania
Level Contributor
16 posts
4. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

To get into Transylvania you need to head north about 2 hours on the train.

Once you arrive at the airport you should take the bus... Taxis tend to over charge not by a bit alot!!

The Train station is called 'Gara de Nord' this is the main station. You have to purchase tickets 2 hours before the train departs but these sell out so your best off going into the agency which is called "agentia CFR" this is near the Ibis hotel there are signs its about 5 mins walk.

Watch you pockets and luggage / passports etc this also counts for on the train. Take extra caution on the train with your belongings

Its better to travel 1st class a little more expensive but well worth it.

If you travel over night get a sleeping car 1st class which has 2 beds and sink.

Grab some snacks / drink for the train trip

You will need to go past Brasov to enter Transylvania which mean you have to cross the Carpathians Mountains its about a 4 hour journey.

Have a look at this map dunav.org.il/images/maps/map_romania_regions…

Brasov has bears I have seen them in the town and people feeding them. I have also eaten bear meat there!

I would recommend you see the birth place of Vlad tepes (Dracula to you and me) which is in Sighisoara search the forums for people who have been. I also read someone was recommending a house were you can stay inside the walls.

There are lots of places to walk in the woods but I do recommend you take a guide and he or she would be able to tell you where cabin are where you can stay.

That's a couple of ideas for you hopefully someone else will be able to give you some more.

Hope you enjoy Romania

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
5. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

A few ideas:

Getting from the airport to Bucharest .

The best way is to use the no. 783 bus (which stops each 30 minutes in front of the departures terminal). If you can't use the bus (for instance, because you have too many luggages) note that the only taxi company operating legally in the airport area is Fly Taxi, so use only their taxis, which are located just outside the airport; refuse any person that approaches you and offers transportation inside the airport, they will rip you off big time. Whatever you do, don't use taxis that charge more than 1 euro (~3 lei) per km; a trip into town should cost less than 20 euros.

Accommodations in the forest/mountains:

You really should be more specific about which area you want to see, because nearly a quarter of Romania's surface is covered by mountains.

Coming from Bucharest, the nearest popular mountain area are the Bucegi Mountains, located some 130 - 150 km north of the city. From the resorts at the base of these mountains (Sinaia, Busteni, Predeal - they're all easily accessed by train, about two hours away from Bucharest) you can climb (on foot or by cable car) to the highlands and there you'll find all sorts of isolated lodges and guesthouses overlooking misty peaks, dense woods, canyons etc.

But there are much more spectacular areas in other parts of Romania (like the Fagaras Mountains).

Seeing the bears.

Unfortunately, the scavenger bears that frequently raid the rubbish bins in Brasov's peripheral neighborhoods (and sometimes the areas near Sinaia or Busteni) have become something of tourist attraction - as a result they've become accustomed with human presence...and naturally attacks on humans began to happen. It would be a good idea to not encourage this kind of urban "entertainment".

Instead , you could try to spot the bears in the wild or visit the bear sanctuary near Zarnesti.

What else to see

Considering that you have two weeks, you could try to visit more of Romania, like seeing the cities of Brasov, Sibiu, Cluj, some villages in the Maramures area, the monasteries in the Bucovina region, maybe the Danube Delta etc.

Ireland
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

Thanks to your kind messages and the effor you have put in to replying to my requests. We have decided today to rent a car at the aiport to avoid the travelling issues,baggage,safety to us from pickpockets and to give us the opportunity to see as much as possible of Tranalvania. I will definitly take note of the places you have mentioned and try and find a few lodges in the mountain hillsides during our stay. We are really looking forward to the trip and I'm sure we will come accross a lot of wildlife on our travels. We have no intention on domesticating bears or encouraging their feeding habits. Aview from far away is enough. We will use the cable cars to get up the mountains fast and try to find trails back down.

Thanks again from all here in Ireland.

7. Re: Family seeking information on mountain trails and

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Transylvania
More Transylvania Topics