We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Transylvania

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Transylvania

I have been reading the posts with great interest. I will be traveling from Ukraine to Romania at the end of October, by car. We have two children, 8 and 4 and just about a week. We obviously want to hit Bran Castle for the kids. From what I have seen, Peles is closed Mondays and Tuesdays and the whole month of November, so the only day we could see that is Halloween. Brasov seems like the most central base location, but we could split the week up into a couple places. Any suggestions are welcome about what to do, where to stay and eat and anything special going on for Halloween. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Romania
Romania
Europe
Bran
Bran
Brasov County, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Transylvania

If you enter Romania through Siret, go south to Suceava and then get on the DN17 (E58) road into Transylvania you could also stop on the way in Bistrita, it has a few interesting medieval sites.

Apart from Brasov, you should really go to Sighisoara (one of the last inhabited and best preserved medieval citadels in Europe; there usually is a large party on Halloween) and especially to Sibiu (the 2007 European City of Culture - there are lots of events going on, so there's bound to be something on Halloween too).

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Bistrita
Bistrita
Bistrita-Nasaud County, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Sighisoara
Sighisoara
Mures County, Romania
Europe
Europe
World
Halloween
Halloween
436 Reviews
Genoa, Italy
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Iasi, Romania
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Transylvania

Hi,

I was in Transylvania region for about 8 days 2 weeks ago.

I had as base two places: Poiana Brasov and Sibiu (Rasinari to be more exact).

I spent 3 days in Brasov area, though I wish I could have spent at least 1 week. and 4 days in Sibiu area.

My trip is not entirelly made for 2 children but it can be adjusted.

Among the places and things I did are: Harman and Prejmer Fortified Churches, Peles and Pelisor Castle, Sinaia Monastery, took the cable car from Busteni to Babele and Sphinx rock formations, hiked to Heroes Cross on Caraiman mountain, hiked to Urlatoarea Waterfall, visited Rasnov Fortress, did karting, visited Rupea Fortress and Viscri village. Skipped Bran Castle since for me it is not that interesting. Your 8 yo boy might enjoy to go to the Haunted Castle near Bran, in the souvenir places...though he should not go alone because it is quite scary.

At Rasnov he could learn to Arrow Shoot.

After I took the road through Transfagarasan to reach Sibiu, and on the way I stopped in Curtea de Arges to visit the Old Court Neagoe Basarab, and Arges Monastery. Another stop was Poienari fortress where I climbed 1480 steps until the fortress. That is the real Dracula Castle.

Stopped at Balea glacier lake than climbed to Balea Waterfall.

Transfagarasan might be closed by end of October, deppending on the weather.

In Sibiu as I said I was based in Rasinari, at a cute Pension, where the owner was really nice.

I reserved one day for the outskirts of Sibiu, meaning I visited Cisnadioara, Cisnadie, Sura Mare, Slimnic Fortress and Cristian Fortress.

The next day I drove to Sibiel, Miercurea Sibiului, Sebes, Orastie, at Hunedoara Castle, than was crazy enough to try and catch Scarisoara Ice cave opened. Did not catch it open but took a forestry road of about 20 km which gave me wonderful views over the famous Apuseni Mountains.

The last day I reserved it for Sibiu only, and visited ASTRA Museum, Brukenthal Museum, The Cathlic Church, The Lutheran Church, The Big/Small/Huet Squares, The steps, The liars bridge, Ursulines Church etc.

I was lucky to catch an organ concert and a concert of 3 german tenors.

I also stopped at Biertan Fortified Church, Sighisoara, Praid Salt Mine and Bicaz Gorges.

Now this itinerary was a lot, and cant be done with children, but you can choose some of those places with confidence.

As for Hallowen...that is not really our Holiday, so you wont find it to be celebrated like in USA. Don;t expect too much regarding this holiday.

If you need more advices about children needing things let me know.

Hope this helped.

Mentioned in this post
Poiana Brasov
Poiana Brasov
353 Reviews
Poiana Brasov, Romania
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Pelisor Castle
Pelisor Castle
552 Reviews
Sinaia, Romania
Sinaia Monastery
Sinaia Monastery
650 Reviews
Sinaia, Romania
Rasnov
Rasnov
Brasov County, Romania
Viscri
Viscri
Brasov County, Romania
Bran
Bran
Brasov County, Romania
Balea Glacier Lake
Balea Glacier Lake
219 Reviews
Sibiu County, Romania
Hunedoara
Hunedoara
Hunedoara County, Romania
Scarisoara Ice Cave
Scarisoara Ice Cave
83 Reviews
Alba Iulia, Romania
ASTRA Museum
ASTRA Museum
596 Reviews
Sibiu, Romania
Biertan Fortified Church
Biertan Fortified Church
254 Reviews
Biertan, Romania
Sighisoara
Sighisoara
Mures County, Romania
Sibiu, Romania
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Transylvania

We just got back from 2 weeks in Transylvania and had a fantastic time, travelling by car and staying in Pensions, Hotels and a Cabana. Here's a summary:

Sinaia/Busteni) We walked from the top of the Sinaia cable-car along the range to Cabana Babele and took the cable-car there down to Busteni, and then a bus. This trail is now badly damaged by erosion so you might do better to catch a ride up from Busteni and then down the other side where you can walk to a 'cave' monastary and lake, or just visit the Sphinx and cross as Gabrielle did.

The walk directly down from Cabana Babele to Busteni seems to be popular, but very challenging and watch out for bears after dark. From the bottom of the Busteni cable-car you can also walk (30-40 min) to the waterfall where you can get your feet wet and cool off.

Poiana Brasov) The town itself is mostly 4-5 star hotels and not very appealing. There is however a fantastic 'Romanian' restaurant close to the southern cable-car (follow the road east into the forest), and Cabana Postavarul offers much friendlier (and cheaper) accommodation. From here you can walk as far as Brasov or Rasnov in a day, and return by bus (Brasov) or taxi (Rasnov). Walking back up to the Cabana from the town takes maybe 1.5 hours, or 15 minutes down from the top of the cable-car. The other Cabana is still closed.

Bran) The castle is definately worth a visit, but try to find a tour guide so you get the full story, and get there as early as possible to avoid the flood of tourists from Brasov. We stayed in a Pension near Moieciu de Jos/Cheia. The base of the castle was one of the best places we found to buy souveniers and presents (not just Dracula mugs).

Balea Lac) Definately worth a visit. We could only stay for a couple of hours, but one could easily spend days walking around the lake, waterfall and mountains. Accommodation is tricky as the Cabana needs to be booked a month in advance. Probably better to plan a day trip from Sibiu.

Sibiu) Fantastic old town spruced up this year and very tourist-friendly. Lots of music and shows. Hundreds of cafés, souvenir and clothes shops. Hit the fruit market on the west side near the river to load up on fresh local produce. The small towns to the south are worth visiting, but heading west there's not much of note apart from the storks.

Cluj-Napoca) A mixed bag with most of the town being very poor, yet surrounded by flashy new developments. Stay south of the river if you can and look for a nice terrace in the students quarter to the west. The botanic garden is one of the largest in Romania and you could probably disappear there for a day as well.

Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Sinaia
Sinaia
Prahova County, Romania
Poiana Brasov
Poiana Brasov
353 Reviews
Poiana Brasov, Romania
Brasov
Brasov
Brasov County, Romania
Rasnov
Rasnov
Brasov County, Romania
Bran
Bran
Brasov County, Romania
Balea Lac
Balea Lac
101 Reviews
Sibiu, Romania
Sibiu
Sibiu
Sibiu County, Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj County, Romania
Romania
Romania
Europe
4. Re: A week in Transylvania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Transylvania
More Transylvania Topics