We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic citation issue in Bakersfield

Brown Deer...
Level Contributor
361 posts
48 reviews
Traffic citation issue in Bakersfield

Hello, I was in Bakersfield in Dec., 2017 and got a notification from my rental agency upon return that I had gotten a ticket for turning against a light as captured via video surveillance at that intersection. I turned my information into Hertz and have not heard a response from Kern Co, etc. I have to presume that Kern Co. courts has my contact information from Hertz. I am wondering whether I should open a can of worms and call the court regarding this or to wait for contact from them. I never received a notice of hearing or anything other than the notification from Hertz. The fine is pretty steep ($490) and I expect it will get bigger if they are expecting payment that is not coming. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should play this issue? Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Eureka, California
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Traffic citation issue in Bakersfield

This is pretty standard with rental car companies - if you get a ticket/ infraction, the license plate number is recorded and sent to the registered owner (in this case, Hertz) and they pass it along to the courts/police, and may notify the person whose name was on the rental contract.

My advice would be to just contact the courts and pay it.

Bakersfield, CA
Destination Expert
for Bakersfield
Level Contributor
206 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Traffic citation issue in Bakersfield

I would contact the courts. Try looking here if you need more info:

https:/…photo_enforced_red_light_information

My husband recently got one of these for a rolling stop on a right turn. He paid the full price (over the phone I think) but was at least was able to do an online traffic school for $20 to avoid the points. A friend also recently got one and was able to have it reduced by around $100 by appearing in traffic court, but as that's not an option for you, you may be stuck with the full price.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
60,453 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Traffic citation issue in Bakersfield

why is it a can of worms. If you are the one who the ticket has to be issued for, then you need to fix that and not expect the company to take care of it for you

Reply to: Traffic citation issue in Bakersfield
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bakersfield
More Bakersfield Topics