We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

We arrive early evening into SFO from UK Wednesday last week October

We have to be in long beach by Saturday night and will fly back to UK From LAX after a conference

We want to do the scenic west coast route and would welcome suggestions on car hire we fancy a cabriolet can we collect from SFO but drop at LAX?

We plan to spend the first night near SFO probably in Burlingame or Millbrae hotel S the journey from UK is long

Welcome suggestions on 2 overnight stops on route to make the most of the trip.

We are sedentary not into hiking just plan to enjoy the scenery nice meals en route we don't like to pack too much in but would hate to miss any "must sees" so please any outline of an intinerary would be gratefully recieved.

The first overnight on route will be my husbands birthday so I'd like a romantic scenic hotel

Second night not as important

The British pound has taken a beating against the USD so the hotels all seem prohibitively expensive nothing less than £165 for the minimum standard we would like, so we unfortunately the budget is a bit squeezed.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Burlingame
Burlingame
California
Millbrae
Millbrae
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,618 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

This is the Cambria forum. You may want to read the top questions on the ca forum on the Ta website

Yes you can rent a car at SFO from the UK websites or hertz Avis national Alamo

Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,929 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

A romantic scenic hotel will come with a premium price point.

We usually recommend Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove for the first night followed by Cambria, Morro Bay or Pismo Beach for the second night.

Romantic in the Monterey area: Monterey Plaza Hotel, Seven Gables Inn, La Playa, Tickle Pink Inn

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Pacific Grove
Pacific Grove
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Monterey Plaza Hotel...
5,732 Reviews
Monterey, CA
La Playa Carmel
La Playa Carmel
974 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Tickle Pink Inn
Tickle Pink Inn
1,195 Reviews
Carmel, CA
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

Thanks will do. Could you recommend a hotel near the airport that does breakfast that's not served on polystyrene?its just that its my husbands birthday that morning and it will be a nicer way to kick off his day! We want to spend the first night somewhere easy To get to after the long flight but good location for starting our coast drive south the next morning.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,618 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

sorry which city and airport. There is no major airport in Cambria

This would be like asking someone In Bunbury about a meal in Perth Airport

If you mean LAX ? Then there are plenty of hotels around LAX that have restaurants attached. Check with the LA forum please. If you want a really nice place head to Santa Monica

Edited: 19 July 2016, 04:13
Mentioned in this post
Cambria
Cambria
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

Sorry in my original post I mentioned that we are flying into SFO and require a night nearby.

Edited: 19 July 2016, 04:31
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,618 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

ok then if you go to the SF page on TA and search for SFO hotels you can see a whole host of hotels -- Marriott, Hilton, Hilton Garden, Hyatt, Aloft, Westin -- All of them have a restaurant on site and serve without paper plates

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,438 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

>>All of them have a restaurant on site and serve without paper plates<<

However, it's not likely to be a complimentary breakfast (most hotel rates do not include breakfast). Try Embassy Suites for a free cooked breakfast.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,673 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

Concur with SFSusan. Most US hotels that claim to include a "free breakfast" usually mean a continental breakfast where your options are mainly pastries and cereal. Only Embassy Suites consistently includes a full-size breakfast buffet with cooked dishes within their daily rate.

Many hotels are capable of cooking a great breakfast onsite, but it will definitely cost extra.

Edited: 19 July 2016, 05:51
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

Thank you SFSusan and coolceasar for your kind help I will certainly look at Embassy.

As for the destination expert for San Francisco well my mother taught me if you can't say anything nice don't say anything but in your case I'm going to make an exception. I've looked through your "expert" replies and what I will say if you spent one quarter of the time to actually answer the question instead of smart mouthing people who you obviously see as cheeky lazy and dumb you would be an asset to TA . As it is you spend time shooting people down for bothering you with trivial issues which takes longer than to answer the dumb question. Your disdain is palpable . Time to think "why did I volunteer for this ? "

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
10. Re: 3 days SF to Long Beach help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2017, 13:19