We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Cambria/Hearst Castle/Anaheim

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Cambria/Hearst Castle/Anaheim

Hi there. In a couple of weeks we are heading from SFO to Anaheim over the course of 3 days.

Night 1: Carmel

Night 2: Cambria

So on day 3, I'm wondering if we should book in for Hearst Castle at 9am (earliest) which looks to be 10mins back up the road from the hotel, after that would there be time to visit things on the way to Anaheim to arrive late afternoon/evening. Should we stop at Santa Barbara or is there something better to see? Should we spend more time in Cambria? I read somewhere about a little german town, Morro Rocks, etc. Not sure.

Or on day 2, should we try and get the last tour at Hearst Castle to free up Day 3? I'm just not sure how much time I need to get from Carmel to Cambria on day 2.

Suggestions welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
6,080 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,901 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help Cambria/Hearst Castle/Anaheim

Carmel to Cambria is approx. a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive without stops. With stops, it could easily become a 6-10 hour drive. Just depends on what you want to see and do through Big Sur. With an early departure from Carmel, I think you could make it down to Hearst Castle in time for the last tour of the day.

The Cambria to Anaheim by late afternoon with stops en route will be the trickiest. Traffic starts to build up on So Cal freeways as early as 2 pm. Most of us would suggest hanging out in Santa Barbara until 7 pm to avoid the worst of the commute traffic. But then you wouldn't roll into Anaheim until 10 pm!

That being said, I would leave Cambria early, head straight for Santa Barbara (2 hour drive) and spend maybe an hour or two there and then head for Anaheim. You'll probably still encounter traffic, but if you need to be in Anaheim by late afternoon, that's your only option.

The "german" town is Solvang, which is actually a Danish community. Not really much to see there these days. Most of the shops have been converted into name brand outlet stores. Yawn.

Edited: 03 September 2016, 20:06
Mentioned in this post
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Cambria
Cambria
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
6,080 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Solvang
Solvang
California
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Cambria/Hearst Castle/Anaheim

Hi thanks for that. We don't have to be in Anaheim late afternoon. We have nothing specific to be there for, I was just thinking of being off the roads by dark. If we left Santa Barbara at 7pm as you hint at, what would you suggest we do to fill in the day. I suppose we could do the Hearst Castle that morning then as our day would be freed up.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle
6,080 Reviews
San Simeon, CA
3. Re: Itinerary Help Cambria/Hearst Castle/Anaheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2017, 13:17