We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental Costa Messa

Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental Costa Messa

Hi guys

Looking to hire a car in Costa Messa (Ayres Hotel Suites).

Seeing as John Wayne airport is close by will I be best hiring one from there or from elsewhere?

Ant tips on best companies and also on CDW policy etc

Cheers

Clive

4 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,910 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental Costa Messa

Clive D, welcome to the forums.

Since you say "hire a car" I'll assume you are from the UK, NZ or Australia. If you rent from the car rental sites in the country you are from all the insurance you need will be included. Also price out using rentalcars.com.

The closest rental car company is Enterprise and you could walk there, but they also do pick up. Other than that I'd use the majors (Hertz, Avis, National) at the airport.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental Costa Messa

please update your profile to show your home city -- given you mention rental car and hire a car and ask about CDW sounds like you are a US resident or perhaps you are not.

Google is your friend -- check enterprise, budget avis hertz in the Costa Mesa area and see what their rates are compared to SNA rates Every company has their own LDW and Liability policy -- not sure what you want us to say. Compare costs

If you are not a US citizen - rentalcars.com and the non US sites of the companies will help

look at autoslash as an option to compare rates. Costco, rentalcarmomma and AAA are good sites to check out for codes

Edited: 11 March 2017, 00:57
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental Costa Messa

Personally, I hate Enterprise here in Orange County. Recently friends have repeated the bad experiences I've had with them regarding unserviced cars. Enterprise cars are also rented with empty gas tanks. Any gas you have left in it when you return the car is your loss. I prefer Hertz and Avis that give you well serviced cars that are full of gas when you pick them up. You top off the gas on return. It is never worth it to buy their gas option (you pay them for the gas). Hertz and Avis also have local offices that will pick you up.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental Costa Messa

Check prices in the area vs. the airport. There is an Avis on Campus Dr. in Newport that is good.

Reply to: Car rental Costa Messa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Mesa