We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

It's short notice, but I'll be in Costa Mesa next week for work.

I wanted to come in a day earlier and stay in West Hollywood for shopping on Melrose and The Grove (I figure that the area has a lot of shops/restos that I can do on foot).

I can get from LAX to West Hollywood via the $20 shared shuttle service, but my problem is how to do I get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

Unfortunately, renting a car isn't an option because I don't have my license.

Does anyone know how much a cab would be from West Hollywood to Orange County?

Alternatively, I've found an airport shuttle ($75 from my hotel to John Wayne airport) and then once at SNA, I thought I'd just get a cab to the Marriott?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa
Orange County, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,166 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
John Wayne Airport
John Wayne Airport
Santa Ana, CA
8 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

Taxi from West Hollywood to the Costa Mesa Marriott, you'd probably be looking at $125-150, at least. Its close to 50 miles. Shared van to SNA makes sense. The Costa Mesa Marriott is quite close to SNA - they might have a free airport shuttle. Otherwise a taxi the rest of the way makes sense.

Alternatively, you could take a bus to Union Station (Metro bus 704 on Santa Monica Blvd.) for $1.50, or a taxi (about $30-35). Then take Metrolink from there to the Santa Ana station for $10 (or you can take Amtrak but the fare would be higher), then a taxi from there to the Costa Mesa Marriott (about $25), or you can use OCTA bus 464 to get from the Santa Ana station to the Marriott for only a couple of dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Mesa Marriott
Costa Mesa Marriott
420 Reviews
Costa Mesa, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,600 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,416 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

There is nothing at the Grove that South Coast Plaza won't have and then some, plus the smaller malls around South Coast.

I also don't think Melrose is that special anymore, I'd check out the shopping in Laguna Beach, depending on what it is you are looking for. Certainly Melrose isn't worth the effort and cost without a car.

Mentioned in this post
The Grove
The Grove
2,166 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
South Coast Plaza
South Coast Plaza
510 Reviews
Costa Mesa, CA
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

MACHTHREE, thanks for the subway/local transit instructions. The Metro route to Santa Ana looks pretty straight-forward! Also, I'm thinking that the bus ride to Union Stn would be nice way to see more of the city? My free time won't allow for exploring Echo Park on foot, so gawking from a window still allow me to say, been-there-seen-that. I'll be travelling with a rolly suitcase (carry-on sized), which will scream "Tourist", would that be a problem?

SCOTTCA075, the kind of shopping I'm looking for is more vintage than label, so that's why (I think?) Melrose fits the bill. The last time I was in California (2011, we did the epic road trip of San Francisco to San Diego) I fell in love with the Wasteland store in Santa Monica and I'm excited to see what the Melrose outpost has to offer. I'm throwing in a visit to The Grove because it's within walking distance of Melrose (according to Google maps) Since I probably won't be buying anything here, I would rather window shop at The Grove, than window shop at South Coast Plaza. My Costa Mesa shopping will be focused on the Orange County outlets.

Thanks for the mention of Laguna Beach... what kind of shops do they have? What type of vibe? I can't find too much info online, so I'm intrigued. I know another So-Cal road trip is in my future and would love your input on the Laguna area?

Mentioned in this post
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
Echo Park
Echo Park
86 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
California
California
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
The Grove
The Grove
2,166 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
South Coast Plaza
South Coast Plaza
510 Reviews
Costa Mesa, CA
Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa
Orange County, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,416 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

Laguna Beach is more boutique shopping than the kind of stores you find in malls.

Chapman Ave in the City of Orange has a lot of vintage clothing stores, look up Villains Vintage Clothing, Elsewhere Vintage, Flashbacks, Gasoline Alley and Moonlight Graham.

Corona del Mar has Recycled Rags, which is for the society gals who wouldn't be caught dead in the same Christian Lacroix gown twice.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Orange
Orange
Orange County, CA
Corona
Corona
California
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

Yes, the bus is a good way to see more of the city. If you aren't near Santa Monica blvd. you can take Metro Bus 302 (or 2, but its a lot slower) on Sunset Blvd. This bus goes almost, but not quite to, Union station if I recall correctly so leaves you a little bit of a walk at the end. One rolling piece of luggage shouldn't be a big deal but the bus does not have any sort of luggage compartment so you have to carry it on to the bus with you - if the bus is full it might be a bit of an issue, but usually wouldn't be,

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Union Station
Union Station
1,600 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

I believe the CM Marriott has a free airport shuttle so I would take the shuttle to SNA and hotel shuttle from there.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
435 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

In addition to Scotts suggestions about CDM and Laguna, the Anti Mall is located just down Bristol from your Hotel and it's very eclectic and so is the mall across from it.

They are called The Lab (Anti-mall) and The Camp. Eat at Memphis if you're a foodie...

Both of these malls are in Costa Mesa on Bristol. Also, since you're on the Santa Ana border, you might want to go Downtown around the Artists Village. That place is off the hook with such a wide variety of stores, restaurants and galleries. Very unusual spot that feels like the 60's in San Francisco without the rampant hallucinogens...

Definitely not trying to take away from West Hollywood and it's vibe but, to me, West Hollywood is much more upscale than it was, even a few years ago. I like the idea that you can stay in your hotel or someplace close to where you will be for your meetings and be close to things you'd like.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
The Lab Anti-Mall
The Lab Anti-Mall
49 Reviews
Costa Mesa, CA
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa
Orange County, CA
Santa Ana
Santa Ana
Orange County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?

TOMFROMOC, I'm giddy with the prospect of going to LA on someone else's dime... even if Costa Mesa is soooo far away from LA! Luckily, I've been to LA previously (as a kid, on a Cali visit to Disney) otherwise I'd be doing the uber-toursity thing of spending my day seeing the Grauman's Chinese Theatre and the Walk of Fame (I know, insert eye-roll here) My hubby does the driving on our trips, and hates (mall) shopping, so this solo trip to LA will be done without any huffing and passive aggressive are-you-done-yet's and it gives me a chance to humble-brag that I was in LA for work and went shopping at the Grove.. Having said that, the hubby would be in his element at The Camp and Anti-Mall, so thanks for those tips and I'm bookmarking those places for the next trip.

Thanks again to everyone for the transportation information and the additional shopping recommendations!

Edited: 22 May 2014, 01:19
Mentioned in this post
Costa Mesa
Costa Mesa
Orange County, CA
Hollywood Walk of Fame
Hollywood Walk of Fame
14,726 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,166 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Reply to: How to get from West Hollywood to Costa Mesa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Costa Mesa