We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February visit

Reidsville, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
February visit

I'll be visiting this area the first week of February. I'm staying at the Avenue of the Arts hotel near the mall. Since I'll be traveling alone I was hoping to get a few good restaurant recommendations where a person dining alone wouldn't feel out of place. Perhaps a location where you can eat at the bar. Something other than fast food.

Also curious if the whale watching trips out of Newport are worth the time\money? I could possibly do one of these on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks,

Rut

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,740 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: February visit

The Ave. of the Arts Hotel (former Wyndham) is walking distance to South Coast Plaza (across the Pedestrian Bridge near the Westin Hotel). Virtually all of the restaurants there are single diner friendly. Even the most high end restaurants have small table and bar seating and you'll see other singles dining. Here is the site listing the SCP restaurants: http://www.southcoastplaza.com/dining-guide/ The hotel has its own decent restaurant (Silver Trumpet) and Pinot Provence at the Westin is very good.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
2. Re: February visit

Pizzeria ortica would be perfect, but I agree that you could just walk around the mall and decide what looks good.

Some people love the whale watching tours. If you aren't sure, I'd probably just go on the harbor cruise around newport bay. You'll get to see sea lions at least.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,740 posts
189 reviews
3. Re: February visit

Sorry -- Pinot Provence closed last month, as did Scotts. There are 40 other restaurants to choose from in the area, as noted above.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
828 posts
88 reviews
4. Re: February visit

There's an event every Thursday in the bar at Karl Strauss that can be fun. It's Cask Night - special beer at a reduced price. You can read about it on their website karlstrauss.com/breweryrestaurants/casknight…

Go early, though, as it gets crowded. The food is pub food, but well made. Great burgers and sweet potato fries. Also offer fish tacos, mac-n-cheese (with crust on top), etc.

Season's 52 used to have a deal on Thursdays, too, for a wine flight with flatbread as low as $15 (only in the bar) or $20 for better wine. I can't tell from the website if it's still offered, but it's a good deal - works out to about 2 glasses (three small tastings, plus a full glass of your favorite) and a small pizza for that price.

If you do make it to Newport, look at the Crab Cooker - casual, but good food, and in an area near the water (but not in view).

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,740 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: February visit

I'm a fan of the Wofgang Puck Bistro next to Macy's wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/…7504. Anqi is really unique and has great Asian fusion food but a little pricey. Seasons 52 is good every night and they offer $5 small plates during Happy Hour seasons52.com/menu-listing/sunset-at-seasons

Reidsville, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: February visit

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,588 posts
435 reviews
7. Re: February visit

I would go for a seat at the bar at Din Tai Fung inside South Coast Plaza (SCP). The bar at Morton's is great as well.

As others have said with 40 places to eat from high falutin to fast food you won't starve.

There are some good, unique places for things like fish tacos (Wahoo's), burgers (Ruby's and Holsteins Shakes and Buns) and sushi (Hamamori).

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: February visit

Second the recommendation for Pizzeria Ortica, and also Leatherby's Cafe Rouge. (I'm assuming that if you're staying at a nice hotel like that, the prices won't bother you at Leatherby's.)

Ortica you can sit at the bar no problem, there are about a dozen seats for just that purpose.

Vaca is also walkable and is excellent.

Bella Cuba and Inka Mama (Cuban and Peruvian, respectively) are quite good and are a short drive away.

If there's something you're specially interested in finding, let us know.

9. Re: February visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2017, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Costa Mesa