We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Hey everyone, just wondering id anyone can give me some information as i have never been to LA before.

I have read really good reviews about El Segundo and have decided to stay there as i have heard to many bad reviews about stayin in the hollywood/downtown area. But i am just wondering if any1 knows the distance between the two and if there is public transport that can take you to the main tourist areas?

Any replys will be most appriciated

Kay x

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

You can take the Green Line/Red Line metro to downtown and the area. There are many buses as well. Route maps are available online and at the area transit center, Lot "C' of LAX Airport. Just google "Torrance Transit", Culver City Bus", "Big Blue Bus", and Los angeles transit...

El Segundo is a safe and clean area, populated by young engineers and middle-to-upper middle income folks. Nearby are the towns of Manhattan Beach (more upscale residential), Hermosa Beach (old hippies who discovered work) and Redondo Beach (lots of apartments, lots of homes like in El Segundo), all of which are clean, safe areas.

You will have quick access to one of the nicer beaches, Dockweiller, as well as to local piers at Manhattan and Redondo - the one at Redondo is huge and poulated with shops and restaurants.

Where are you staying in El Segundo? We could recommend some places to eat, and to see. What is your budget?

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

What attractions would you like to visit? Anaheim is about 35 miles from El Segundo, and may take nearly 3 hours on the bus.

Universal City is 30 miles from El Segundo, and taking the bus to the Red Line in Los Angeles, would take nearly 2 hours.

For the Los Angeles transit system, it's www.mta.net and go to the trip planner bus or rail information.

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Actually, if you take the Metro Green Line to the Metro Blue Line to the Metro Red Line, you can get to Hollywood and Vine in under an hour, and to Universal City in 65 minutes. Trains run every 6 minutes, so the wait time is minimal. No buses involved. It is a nice trip, with no hassle.

A Metro day pass (good for Metro Rail and buses) is $3.00, and a weekly pass is $14.00.

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Also, riding the Metro Green Line and Blue Line from El Segundo to Anaheim (Disney Land, Knotts Berry Farm, Medieval Times, etc.) only takes about 35 minutes.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

The Blue Line goes from Los Angeles to Long Beach - home of the Queen Mary, Long Beach Aquarium, and Shoreline Village.

Disneyland: The Green Line from El Segundo to Norwalk requires a bus transfer (#460) from Norwalk to Disneyland. This trip will take 2 hours.

Universal Studios: The Green Line from El Segundo to Wilmington Station, and

transfer to Blue Line to 7th St Metro Transfer Station, next

transfer to Red Line (North Hollywood train) to Universal City. This will take approx. 1 1/4 hr., plus transfer time between trains which run frequently).

www.mta.net

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
6. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

It's a totally safe area, being just south of LAX, and west of the 405 & 105 Frwys. I'm glad you picked that and not some LAX airport hotel!

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

BTW, if you take the Red Line -- one stop before Universal City (Studios) is Hollywood/Highland. Graumann's Chinese Theater is there (and a few weirdos and impersonators) with the foot and hand prints, the Kodak Theater, and the Highland/Highland Complex with shops, restaurants, etc. A two-for-one day!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Hi, thanks everyone for your information. I am looking to stay at the Homestead Studio Suites- do you know it? As i am from England, i have never been to the states before so i am not familiar with the green/red/blue lines. Is it far to the train station? The attractions that we want to see is the usual- Hollywood, disney etc! but would also like to know about any local attractions. Would you recommend me stayin in this area or would you reccommend me staying nearer to the attractions? I havn't got a big budget really, me and my boyfriend can afford to to about $60 per nite each. Any answrs to my questions or any additional information about the area will be greatly appriciated.

Kay x

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
9. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

The public transportation system in Southern California is slow and unreliable, and I should know because I take it nearly every day. To see Southern California, you need to do what most natives do and that's to drive. While it would be nice to avoid the cost and hassle of renting a car, the public transporation system in the Los Angeles area is nothing like those in Europe or New York. Perhaps it's because the area that they have to service in Los Angeles is much larger.

If you are relying on public transportation to get around to various tourist spots in the greater Los Angeles area, you will be spending a lot of time riding on combinations of buses and trains that have varying schedules. Some buses in parts of the area in the evening and weekends only run once an hour, and that's if they are running on time, an assumption that's counter to my daily experience.

I take buses to and from work most days and I work in El Segundo, which is just south of LAX. I always feel for the tourists I see taking the bus trying to see the area, because they're often frustrated about the limited schedule and the lack of information from the bus drivers. While it's easy to use the train--there's signs everywhere--you'll probably have to connect with a bus to get to most everywhere--even the airport. You won't find much in the way of information about the bus lines--the buses rarely have maps on them, so you'd have to prepare in advance using the web.

Enjoy your vacation: rent a car.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
10. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

The Homestead Studio Suites in El Segundo is about three blocks from where I work. That hotel is sort of an extended-stay hotel where the rooms have small kitchenettes. It's adjacent to a grocery store and a small, non-descript strip mall on the other side of Mariposa Avenue. It's about a five-minute cab ride or a twenty-minute, two-bus trip from LAX.

El Segundo is a small town that is mainly known for it's refinery. The beach is occupied by a sewage treatment plant and a small power generating facility. It's definitely not a typical California "beach town." There's only one main street that connects the town with the beach area (Grand Avenue). It's not a beach that you'd want to lay out on, since planes take off from nearby LAX as often as every five minutes and you might have to contend with odor from the sewage treatment plant or refinery, depending on the wind. Even at your hotel you might get an occasional whiff of the refinery--it's not that pleasant.

The part of El Segundo where the hotel is located is mostly a commercial area that's a few kilometers east of the small downtown section of El Segundo, where most people live. The downtown area is somewhat busy during the day, because of all the nearby businesses, but there's not many people around in the evening or weekends.

The nearest train stop is the Green Line station at Mariposa and Nash. It's about a fifteen minute walk from the Homestead Studio. You head east down Mariposa Avenue. The MTA bus route 232 runs mostly runs along Sepulveda Boulevard/Pacific Coast Highway, but it does make a loop along Mariposa and Grand Avenues to service the Green Line station on Mariposa.

Still, it's probably a bit better there than at one of the hotels along Century Boulevard right by LAX. You will still hear airport noise at the Homestead Studio Suites, though, and you'll want to get out of the El Segundo area to see most things.

El Segundo and the airport area are fairly centrally located between, say Universal Studios to the north and Disneyland to the south. Still, it's a large area to cover if you want to "see LA," since the area most people consider when they think of Los Angeles is an area about 400 square miles.

Get answers to your questions about El Segundo
More El Segundo Topics