We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Hey everyone, just wondering id anyone can give me some information as i have never been to LA before.

I have read really good reviews about El Segundo and have decided to stay there as i have heard to many bad reviews about stayin in the hollywood/downtown area. But i am just wondering if any1 knows the distance between the two and if there is public transport that can take you to the main tourist areas?

Any replys will be most appriciated

Kay x

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

I also work in the El Segundo area, and do enjoy working in the South Bay. It is a safe area, many companies located here. If you can, it's better to have a car to go around LA. But if you really do not want to rent a car at all, there are ways to get from the green line to hollywood using the train.

You would just need to take the green line to the blue line and then transfer to the redline to go to Hollywood or Universal Studios.

To go to Disneyland, take the greenline, transfer to the blue line, then take the redline to Union Station. Take Amtrak to get to Disneyland or you can even go to Santa Barbara or San Diego from Union Station taking the Amtrak.

I also think El Segundo has a shuttle that can take you to different points of town, including downtown El Segundo where there are a few shops and restaurants there. My cousin used to work for Boeing, and he told me about this shuttle that goes around El Segundo. On the LA forum, someone from the UK also mentioned they were able to take a complimentary shuttle from their hotel to Manhattan Beach Mall and the beach, which is not far at all from El Segundo. Have fun and good luck!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Here's some links on the train for metro green/blue/red lines:

http://www.westworld.com/~elson/larail/green.html

http://www.westworld.com/~elson/larail/blue.html

mta.net/riding_metro/metro_rail/red_line.htm

(on the redline, for Hollywood get off Hollywood and Highland, for Universal Studios get off Universal City. A complimentary shuttle from there takes you to Universal Studios)

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

El Segundo is quite far from most places you most likely want to visit in Los Angeles, particularly if you intend to rely on public transportation. As a local, there's not much to recommend about the El Segundo to a visitor.

I'd actually encourage you to stay in downtown L.A. because it is the hub of the public transportation network which is actually pretty good. This will allow you to get around to many major attactions without spending all day getting there making transfers and spending a lot of money renting a car. For some attractions, yes, you'd probably want to rent a car. However, you don't need one every day. Downtown is also where Union Station is located. I'd highly recommend the Metrolink and Amtrak for getting around.

As for the safety of downtown and Hollywood, this bad rep is out-of-date, particularly amongst locals. Hollywood is a very happening place for clubs. If it one of the few places you can actually bar-hop without getting into a car. Downtown is undergoing a residentail boom with the conversion of abandoned historic buildings into lofts. Yes, skid row is an unpleasant place. But, I assume you won't be wondering around there. There's also tons of things to see and do downtown. I say all this because I live downtown and have for eight years.

I'd recommend the Kawada Hotel as an economical place to stay. I also hear good things about the Best Western in Chinatown. If you have more questions, please send me an email.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

I do agree with hitchkennedy regarding downtown LA and Hollywood . And yes, there is a residential boom in downtown where even trying to buy a loft there is a huge waiting list. It is going to a transformation. I used to work in the business district of downtown LA, and never felt unsafe there, even working till late hours of the night. As for Hollywood, my husband and I go there often either to go to the HOllywood Bowl, watch a show at the El Capitan or Egyptian Theater, or watch a play at the Kodak Theater and never felt unsafe. We've even stayed there after midnight and there are still many people around. Security is present and we never felt unsafe in Hollywood. I do like El Segundo and the South Bay alot and for my opinion, the South Bay beaches are some of the nicest beaches in LA, but I recommend that you should have a car if you stay in El Segundo.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Hi, Many Thanks for your replys- it helps a lot!

i have actually booked the Homestead Studio Suites in El Segundo for a week at the end of August! and i am a bit worried now about getting places i want to see because we can not rent a car as we are only 19 yrs old! Is the public transport really that bad? Isn't there coach trip deals that take to to disney land and universal studios? Could we walk to the beaches and shops from our hotel? is the train station far? does any one how much it would cost on the train roughly?

i would really appriciate any more information about the questions i have asked.

Many Thanks

Kayleigh x

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

I think ctkads gave some pretty good information of where the nearest train station is that is closest to your hotel, about a 15 minute walk to the green line. You can refer back to his/her post about info on how to get there. If you want to go to Hollywood or Universal Studios, there are 3 transfers to get there from your hotel, which is taking the green line to the blue line then to the red line. Refer to the links I had posted above of where to get off to transfer. It is $3 to take the train for the whole day. We actually experimented and took the redline once to try it, and we thought it was efficient and just fine. I see that many tourists take it and we met a couple from the UK and thought our public transport was just fine and used it to go to Long Beach, Pasadena, Hollywood and Universal Studios. Your hotel is not really walking distance to the beach. You may have to take a bus to get there or ask the hotel concierge of how to get there. I think there is a free shuttle around El Segundo, although I haven't taken it, that takes you around El Segundo and to the beach. I know my cousin also had mentioned to me about it before. There are tours if you would like to take them to go to the tourist areas. Try starline tours.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

"Is the public transport really that bad?"

It's only bad in that you'll need to: spend lots of time riding buses (when a car might be faster), wait around for buses to show up, and thoroughly plan your bus/train schedule ahead of time. If this were New York or Europe, you can usually just say, "Well, if I miss that bus there'll be another in five minutes." In Los Angeles, you might have to wait another hour for a bus if you miss one. You have to plan each leg of your trip ahead of time. While you can take trains for some of the trip, you will still have to rely on buses to see most areas.

While the trains are relatively clean and operate on time, buses aren't and don't. Even with the trains, some people might be uncomfortable switching between, say, the Red Line to the Blue Line in South Central Los Angeles late at night. For most of it's length, the Green Line runs between two sides of an elevated, six-lane highway. It's noisy, windy, and not for everyone.

"Isn't there coach trip deals that take to to disney land and

universal studios?"

I'm not sure, but I'd have to guess there's a few companies that provide bus tours. They might only pick people up from the major hotels along Century Boulevard right next to the airport. Try Google.

"Could we walk to the beaches and shops from our hotel?"

Not really. The shops in the immediate vicinity of your hotel are things like an aquarium store, a grocery store, and some lackluster restaurants. There are a few shops and restaurants in downtown El Segundo. It's a mile and a half from your hotel to the middle of downtown El Segundo (say, the corner of Main Street and Grand Avenue). That might take about twenty minutes each way. Most of the stores are small, indepently-run shops that cater to the locals. There's not much high-fashion or interesting stores in El Segundo. There are a few restaurants, but only a couple are okay--most are just average places serving plain food. (I like Chef Hannes on Main Street and Second City Bistro on Richmond Street, though.)

From downdown El Segundo it's another mile to the beach, but El Segundo's beach isn't worth visiting. It's noisy from the nearby airport, has few services (no bathrooms), and is bounded by a sewage treatment plant to the north and a power generating facility to the south.

The city of El Segundo operates a lunchtime shuttle, Monday through Friday, from 11:30 to 2:00 PM, but it's mainly a service to pick people up at the businesses east of Sepulveda Boulevard and take them to downtown El Segundo. You'd have to walk about a half-mile just to get to the nearest shuttle stop, and it only runs at lunch time Monday through Friday.

The next town south, Manhattan Beach, is a more typical California beach town. From your hotel to downtown Manhattan Beach (near the corner of, say, Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Highland Avenue) it's about three and a half miles. You could take MTA bus 232 south and get off at Manhattan Beach Boulevard and walk the last mile down to town. Manhattan Beach has more stores and restaurants, and it's easier to walk to the beach, the pier, and along the water. I've seen a city-operated shuttle driving from somewhere by the airport to the downtown area, but I don't have other information. Maybe you can find something at:

http://www.ci.manhattan-beach.ca.us/

"[I]s the train station far?"

No. There is a Green Line stop at the corner of Mariposa Avenue and Nash Street. Your hotel is near the corner of Mariposa Avenue and Sepulveda Boulevard. It's a half-mile walk east down Mariposa Avenue. It'll probably take you five minutes to walk it.

The closest bus to your hotel is route 232. It pretty much travels up and down Sepulveda Boulevard/Pacific Coast Highway from close to the ariport (but not *at* the airport) to Long Beach. There's a stop just out in front of your hotel on Mariposa Avenue, a half-block east of Sepulveda Boulevard.

"[D]oes any one how much it would cost on the train roughly?"

Trains and buses are the same price. Los Angeles County operates most of the buses and trains. Other cities have buses (Santa Monica, Torrance, Culver City), and Orange County (where Disneyland is) has it's own bus system. The Los Angeles Country-run system is named the Metropolitan Transit Authority ("MTA").

For the Los Angeles County-run buses and trains, during most of the day, it's a $1.25 per trip and transfers are $0.25. (That's U.S. cash.) A day pass is $3.00. There's also montly passes and, I think, weekly passes. The buses do not give change, but do accept paper money. Train stations have ticket dispensing kiosks that given change. See:

http://www.mta.net

for specifics. (It's a site you'll be using a lot if you are forced to stick with public transportation to see Los Angeles.)

The weather and the sights of Southern California are nice, but our public transportation will sour you, especially if you're coming from a country that has clean, efficient public transportation. LA is a car town, essentially, and it's too bad you can't rent a car because this is one area of the U.S. that you really need one to see things.

Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: How far is it from El Segundo to the main L.A attractions

Kayleigh

I just got back from LA and stayed two nights at the Homestead suites. The place is equipped with a small kitchen (fridge, microwave, and burner). The hotel is ok...IMHO it is a bit run down. I don't believe the hotel has a pool.....something you should verify. One good thing is that the hotel is steps away from a Ralphs grocery store. This makes it easy to keep food costs down if you are on a tight budget. a Taxi ride to/from the airport will cost you 7-8 dollars. I am not sure how difficult it is to use Public Transit as I had a rental car during my stay and I definately recommend that you do the same if you can. Another hotel to consider is Summerfield suites. It about 5 minutes south of Homestead but in my opinion a much better place. This hotel offers a free buffet breakfast daily and happy hour Mon-Thur with free beer/wine and finger foods. The hotel has a small kitchen, pool and BBQ grills. It also walking distance to a grocery store and has a train stop minutes away.

Get answers to your questions about El Segundo
More El Segundo Topics