We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sept wedding

arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
sept wedding

Our family is traveling by car to a wedding in Santa Monica the end of September. We are staying at a hotel in El Segundo ( Double Tree) and I need some good driving directions from the hotel to Santa Monica (Historic district on Main St.) The wedding is on a Saturday afternoon. Any idea how long it would take to drive there? I prefer not to take the highway, maybe some back roads along the ocean?

Also, any driving directions from Anaheim to El Segundo? We will be in DL prior to the wedding and plan on driving from DL to the hotel in El Segundo on a THursday morning. I know it is only 35 miles or so, but with traffic I imagine it will take 2 hours. Thank you for your assistance!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sept wedding

While the freeways would probably be quickest (route 105 east to route 405 north to route 10 west) even with traffic, you could take surface streets and still get there in under forty minutes.

To get from your hotel (the Double Tree) in El Segundo to Main

Street in Santa Monica, avoiding freeways and staying as close to the ocean as possible, I would:

1. From the hotel, take Grand Avenue west (towards the ocean) until it ends at Vista del Mar.

2. Turn right (head north) along Vista del Mar until it curves and turns into Culver Boulevard in Playa del Rey. The ocean will be off to your left.

3. Soon after crossing the Ballona creek, take the circular turn off Culver Boulevard onto Lincoln Bouelvard and head north on Lincoln Boulevard.

4. Take Lincoln Boulevard north until you reach Washington Boulevard. Turn left and head west again along Washington Boulevard. (This area isn't that scenic, really.)

5. Veer right off of Washington Boulevard onto Abbot Kinney Boulevard. This will take you through an area of Venice Beach with furniture shops and restaurants, not the beachside "boardwalk" area of Venice Beach.

6. At the end of Abbot Kinney Boulevard is Main Street. Travel north on Main Street. The portion of Main Street that's in Santa Monica proper is just north of Rose Avenue.

There's a few short cuts you could take to make the trip a little quicker and perhaps a little less scenic. The directions above are about the best combination of scenic and simplicity that I can think of. I would esitmate that it should take no more than forty minutes to get there. Since it's a wedding, I'd make it an hour just to be safe, since I'm not sure where along Main Street in Santa Monica you are headed to.

arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sept wedding

Thanks ctkads. Those are some excellent driving directions. Can you also give some suggested highways and time frame if traveling from Disney to El Segundo on a Thursday morning?

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sept wedding

"Can you also give some suggested highways and time frame if traveling from Disney to El Segundo on a Thursday morning?"

I've only been to Disneyland once in the fifteen years that I've lived in Southern California, so it's not a trip I take very often. But, there's not much choice of freeways for the trip. I'm guessing that if you're travelling from Disneyland to El Segundo in the morning during the week, you will hit traffic, I think. You'll be sharing the road with Orange County residents commuting north into Los Angeles Country for work. It's a long drive, but not crazy by LA standards. I know a lot of people who commute similar distances every day.

This Yahoo map page gives the route I would probably take from Disnleyland to the Doubletree Hotel in El Segundo:

http://tinyurl.com/awwnr

The route shown seems about right to me--that's the way I would go. The drive time is listed as thirty-seven minutes which seems about right. I'd add another fifteen minutes just to be safe.

Get answers to your questions about El Segundo
More El Segundo Topics