We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats the area like

north yorkshire, uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
whats the area like

hi anyone have any hints and tips on el segundo we are there for overall 5 nights in march and we have 4 kids is it safe to walk around at night we have been told it is also is there any good family resturants that we should try cheers guys

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
228 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whats the area like

hi simon - is there a reason you are staying in el segundo? the area is fine, it just seems like an odd place for someone to visit. :o) here's a site with more info (http://www.elsegundo.org/visiting/) and you might put 'el segundo' in google and then click the 'images' tab at the top - this will give you some photos of the area.

happy travels

El Segundo
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: whats the area like

I live in El Segundo. It is very safe to walk around. It is a family community. Go in town to Main Street. There are several nice Restaurants there. All different kinds of food. We have a Restaurant called Mandy's on Main and Grand family place good prices. Also a Good Stuff Restaurant more for the Healthy eaters. I hope you enjoy your stay. It is a quite town, We call it Mayberry...:)

El Segundo, CA
Level Contributor
380 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whats the area like

We also live in El Segundo, and it is a safe community. Great for families, as I have 2 kids growing up here. I agree with the previous post, go to Main Street, it has a lot of good restaurants here, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Italian/Pizza, etc. El Segundo Fish Co is another great place to eat, good seafood, and they have a kids menu, restaurant is located on Grand Ave. Go to Coldstones Ice Cream, just across the El Segundo Fish Co, the kids would love it there. El Segundo is very close to Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach.

The Manhattan Beach Mall on Rosecrans/Sepulveda, has a variety of stores and restaurants including Islands, Olive Garden, and California Pizza Kitchen. If you go West on Manhattan Beach Blvd, you will hit a variety of restaurants/stores and the Pier on Manhattan Beach. This is the center of Manhattan Beach activities, and it's a very nice beach community. Good Stuff is close by there, as well as Uncle Bills, great for Breakfast. There's also The Kettle which is a 24 hour restaurant.

El Segundo is very close to Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. You can rent bikes around Redondo Beach or take harbor cruises in the area. In Redondo Beach, there is Rubys which is a 50s diner and Cheesecake Factory. In Hermosa Beach, the Pier has a variety of restaurants and places to eat around there.

I enjoy living in El Segundo, it has a variety of Fortune 500 and Defense companies around here. It's close to the communities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach, some of the nicest beaches and expensive communities in the LA area. Hope you and your family have a great time!

north yorkshire, uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: whats the area like

thanks for that guys i chose to stay in el segundo because we as a family like to try and get away from the tourist areas and live like a local we get to see real america and we meet geniune people who are not there just to rip you off (ie disney) we also get to shop and eat at the places that geniune americans do we always enjoy our holidays(vacation ) more that way cheers for all the feedback

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whats the area like

I actually work around the El Segundo area. It's a nice location and close to the beaches, that are mentioned above, of the South Bay. Manhattan, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach are less touristy than Santa Monica or Venice, and is more of a local hangout for Southbay Residents, and I actually like these beaches better than Venice. I also found out that every Thursday, there is a Farmer's Market around Main Street in El Segundo. Go to Manhattan Beach, it's a very nice beach town and I'm sure you and your family will enjoy it! Hermosa and Redondo is just next to it.

El Segundo, CA
Level Contributor
380 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whats the area like

Simon-I went ahead and suggested this on another post, since there are many nice places around LAX and El Segundo. Not sure where you will be staying in El Segundo but some information for you, since we live in the area::

There are many nice places already around LAX, and you don't need to take the freeway. If you go South on Sepulveda BLVD/PCH, you will hit Manhattan Beach. Turn right or go West on Manhattan Beach Blvd, you will hit a variety of restaurants, shops, and the Manhattan Beach Pier. It's a really nice beach and relaxing environment.

If you go straight on Sepulveda Blvd/PCH going South, you will hit Hermosa Beach. Turn right or go West on Pier Ave, and you will hit Hermosa-another very nice beach! Henneseys, an Irish pub/restaurant is located right on the beach on the Hermosa Beach Pier. Right next to Hermosa Beach is Redondo Beach, where you can go on harbor cruises or just another place to relax. They can be both sleepy beach towns during the day. But

Hermosa Beach is like a fraternity party place for adults, during weekends and evenings. There's a variety of bars and clubs and bands playing around the places there. Just an fyi. Since we have a family now with kids, we usually don't go there and party much. But it can be a party.

north yorkshire, uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whats the area like

thanks for the reply la sun we have four young children and the appeal of el segundo was what swung it for us we are staying at wyndham suites do you know the place we do a lot of driving around the areas but i know LA fairly well so driving dosent bother me once again thanks simon

Ireland
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: whats the area like

Hi, Also considering ElSegundo in early February.. 5 couples from Ireland, possibly staying at Doubletree. Just two days after a week in Vegas. Well positioned for central LA and beaches? views on Doubletree?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whats the area like

I live just the other side of LA Airport, PLaya del Rey, and El Segundo and the south beach beach communities are just great. There was (and I hope still is?) an ice rink in the area, can anyone give the details? I went to a skating party there a few years back and it was great fun!

On Sepulveda Blvd., there's a restaurant and sports bar called Stick n' Stein, which has loads of sports memorabilia on the walls and lots of pool tables---and is quite popular with families. My neighbors and I eat there regularly and always have fun. Over near me, in Playa del Rey, we have Outlaws Steak House on Culver Blvd, right near the beach. Again, popular with families---there's a bar as well as a restaurant, and it's full of local folk watching the game or enjoying the great burgers and steaks. Hacienda del Rey, just up on Lincoln Blvd. near the intersection with Manchester (north of the airport a mile or so) has delicious Mexican food and mariachi music on Sunday evenings (gee, I'm giving away all our well-kept secrets :) ) and is also popular with families.

Have a great stay! RE: the Doubletree, it is in a good location to daytrip but have not stayed there nor heard about it.

El Segundo, CA
Level Contributor
380 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: whats the area like

nirv-I live in El Segundo, and enjoy the area, raising our family here. If you have a car, it is well positioned for the beaches. Manhattan Beach is the closest, which is such a nice beach and one of LA's gems. If you go further south, you'll reach Hermosa Beach, Redondo, and then Palos Verdes. It's not too far to Santa Monica or Venice Beach either, especially if you have a car. The Doubletree is located in a business area close to the Mattel corporate office and a couple of companies in the area like Raytheon and Xerox building.

Get answers to your questions about El Segundo