We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Segundo Transport

Augusta, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
El Segundo Transport

Hi, we are thinking of staying at the Doubletree in El Segundo for two nights in late March. I have read some of the posts and happy that it sounds like a good place to stay. We don't really want to hire a car, but will have one full day to spend, can anyone suggest the best way to get around - thinking of the beach areas. What's the public transport like?

We were thinking of a day trip to Tijuana, but reading the forums on this, think we will give that a miss - is it worth going to San Diego?

(Just my husband and myself). Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Tijuana
Tijuana
Baja California Norte, Mexico
San Diego
San Diego
California
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,843 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Segundo Transport

The public transit (buses) are ok if you stay relatively close to the beaches. If you try to venture further into L.A. (forget San Diego), you'll need to take 2 or more buses (or a metro rail train) and that is time-consuming.

The cloest beach area to El Segundo is Manhattan Beach (just south of E.S). There is a bus that runs down Sepulveda Blvd into Manhattan Beach as well as service going westbound (once within the city limits of Manhattan Beach) to the beach -- going west on either Rosecrans or Manhattan Beach Blvd.

Bus schedules and routes are available from MTA.NET. In the upper right corner of their web page enter your starting and ending points being careful to follow the adjacent directions.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,253 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Augusta, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Segundo Transport

Thanks for your help and info HopSkipJump.

Did you mean not to bother with San Diego cause it's not worth the visit, or is it just too hard to get there via the bus system from El Segundo. I read in another of your replies the train ride LA-SD is nice.

(I'll try to get the hang of the forum and not ask too many questions that have already been asked, sorry!)

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Segundo Transport

San Diego would be too difficult to do in one day....you would need to stay there overnight.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Segundo Transport

San Diego is wonderful but with only two nights you will have plenty to keep you busy in LA.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Segundo Transport

I've stayed in that Doubletree In El Segundo and it's a nice choice. Even though we live a few miles away, we won a weekend there at a charity event. You get a chocolate chip cookie on your pillow at night.

Best to go the few miles to Manhattan Beach for the day. Nice pier to walk out on in the downtown area, watch the surfers, walk along the strand or window shop the many stores. Lots of restaurants to choose from. There is also the Manhattan Village Mall with a movie complex on the corner of Rosecrans and Sepulveda.

Forget Tijuana.

Mentioned in this post
El Segundo
El Segundo
California
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,253 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Tijuana
Tijuana
Baja California Norte, Mexico
Augusta, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Segundo Transport

Thank you all for these helpful replies - I think the day trip to Manhattan Beach sounds like us and no doubt we'll be pretty tired after our 16hr flight from Singapore too - so a nice easy day will be enough! Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,253 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
7. Re: El Segundo Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about El Segundo
More El Segundo Topics