We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joshua Tree with small Children

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Joshua Tree with small Children

Hello.

Does anyone have suggestions for JT with small children (8 and 4 years) for January?

We could do a specific tours, easy hikes, or other things. I have not found similar posts in the forum, thank you!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,683 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

These nature trails might be good choices:

https:/…ntrails.htm

Are you also asking where to stay???

It is still morning here and so others will be on soon.

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

thanks.

yes, lodging would be also great. I sort of like 29 Palms Inn, but don´t know the rest of the lodgings.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,683 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

How about posting in the California Desert Forum instead of this one as I don't see many posts here.

I am not an expert about lodging in that area.

Put Lodging for Joshua Tree as your title.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

My son and family camp in Joshua Tree so I don't know about Motels. I only recommend in what I have stayed in, otherwise anyone can do a review search for lodging.

That said they have taken their child there since she was 2-3. They love climbing the boulders, hiking and spending time there each year.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,683 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

Previous posts have said that Joshua Tree itself offers little in terms of lodging.

29Palms has more motels from which to choose.

You can also visit Palm Springs which has lots of choices and the great tramway from the desert to the pine forest atop the nearby mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Connecticut
Level Contributor
365 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

I would advise you to stay in Palm Springs/ Palm Desert Area as there are far more things to do. You can certainly take a day trip out to Joshua Tree from either one. I would take your children to the living desert as there would be benches and shaded areas to res. As well as the usual zoo animals, there is a butterfly area and a carousel to ride. They could also ride a camel. They might enjoy the aerial tram too. I think closer to Joshua Tree might be harder to find things to amuse them.

Mentioned in this post
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Palm Desert
Palm Desert
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,650 posts
6,180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

In Joshua Tree, its camping only. However, its a very nice place to explore for the day. There is also no food in the park. There are many wonderful places to have a picnic lunch and enjoy the views.

When you enter Joshua Tree, there will be either a ranger station or visitor center. There are a number of roads that lead into the park. They will give you a park map.

There are a number of drives. On these drives there is numerous places to stop and read about the area and explore the area. A handful of my favorite are:

1) Cholla Cactus Garden - This is an interesting plant and a short nature trail. There can be bees in this area so if you are bee sensitive best not to do. But for a nice walk with views and some nice photos with the familiy this is a good stop to do. There will be parking lots nearby to park at and information signs.

2) Skull Rock - There is a very short walking trail to get to the base of Skull Rock. This is a rock that looks the way it sounds. From the road there is some nice views of it as well. This is fun to see for the family

3) Keys View - This is a short uphill walk to a viewpoint. On a good day one can see over the entire valley area. There is a parking lot as well as benches to sit at to enjoy the views.

4) Barker Dam Trail is a nice easy hike to do if the family wants to.

If you are OK with driving a car to the park, I would do that. its a park with exceptionally beautiful desert vista views and many boulder type rocks. There are Joshua Trees throughout the area as well. Its nice just to find your favorite view and enjoy the area.

It can be done in a 1/2 day there or of course longer. The park rangers can help with any questions one might have.

For more information also see

https:/…ATTRACTION_LIST

and

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

Note: I've gone there all my life and easy as a child loved this park. Do tell them not to touch the cactus (thorns, etc.). We usually ended the day with a drive to Shields to have a date shake afterwards.

visitpalmsprings.com/overview/…14239

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Cholla Cactus Garden
Cholla Cactus Garden
424 Reviews
Joshua Tree National Park, CA
Skull Rock
Skull Rock
364 Reviews
Keys View
Keys View
459 Reviews
Barker Dam Trail
Barker Dam Trail
242 Reviews
United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

I will do thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
47 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

Hi, thanks everyone so much for posting a reply to my question about JT some days ago.

Edited: 25 January 2017, 14:13
10. Re: Joshua Tree with small Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2018, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree