We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best short hike/points of interest see in a couple hours

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best short hike/points of interest see in a couple hours

My family of 4 is driving to the Grand Canyon in early June and I am considering breaking it up and staying in Twentynine Palm and hopefully getting a quick tour of Joshua Tree either the late afternoon when we arrive, or the next morning on our way out. From that location where are some good, short hikes of a couple hours and what are some must see points of interest?

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,759 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best short hike/points of interest see in a couple hours

Enter the park from the west at the town of Joshua Tree.

The visitor center is near hwy 62 on Park Blvd.

Bring food and water into the park as there are no services once inside.

You could do the short Hidden Valley Loop nature trail, or also nearby is the Barker Dam/Wall Street Mill Trailhead.

Wall Street Mill has old cabins, trucks, windmills and the stamp mill at the end.

There is a short hike to Ryan Ranch, the old adobe ranch house ruins.

If you got a early start before the heat, Ryan Mountain is more challenging, but has nice 360 views of the park.

Continuing on , you could take the short dirt road to the Desert Queen Mine.Or stay on the pavement and see Skull Rock, Jumbo Rocks and maybe do the short walk to the Arch at White Tank.

Retrace your route and stay in Joshua Tree, or exit at the north and stay in 29 Palms.

From 29 Palms to the Grand Canyon, you can cut across Amboy Road to Route 66 and see Roys then take 66 to I-40

Or continue on hwy 62 to Vidal Junction, then hit I-40 from either 95 on the CA side, or cross over Parker Dam and get to I-40 on the AZ side via Lake Havasu and the London Bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Hidden Valley
Hidden Valley
532 Reviews
Joshua Tree National Park, CA
Ryan Mountain
Ryan Mountain
108 Reviews
Skull Rock
Skull Rock
372 Reviews
Parker
Parker
Arizona
Lake Havasu
Lake Havasu
594 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
London Bridge
London Bridge
1,429 Reviews
Lake Havasu City, AZ
2. Re: Best short hike/points of interest see in a couple hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2018, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree