We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from Indian Wells

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
681 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
day trip from Indian Wells

We are staying in Indian Wells from March 7-12 and would like to take a 1/2 day trip to JTNP since we have never been there before.

What would be some suggestions to where to enter the park and an simple hike (around 3 miles give or take).

I'm a desert newbie and I'm not sure where we will even enter the park coming from Indian Wells. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you!

Cliffhanger Guides
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Climbing Tours
Joshua Tree Excursions - Day Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
The Climbing Life Guides - Private Trips
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Climbing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
3 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,237 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from Indian Wells

From Indian Wells, you could either head out east on I-10 and enter the park at Cottonwood, or head the other way up to hwy 62 and enter the park at the west side in Joshua Tree.

If you come in at Cottonwood, this is the lower elevation of the park. You can see the ocotillos, and cholla cactus garden on the way to the higher elevation north end of the park, where the Joshua Trees are.

Consider stopping at White tank todo the short walk to the Arch.

From there head past Jumbo Rocks, Skull Rock, and if you want a more agreesive hike, then Ryan Mountain has a great 360 view.

Something easier would be to take the easy dirt road to Queen Valley mine/Pine City trailhead and walk over to see the mine, then head down to Wall Street Mill for a nice easy walk to the mill, or see Barker dam, which shares the same parking lot.

Another easy trail is Hidden Valley Loop, or if you want something with a little more effort, Lost Horse Mine.

You can drive to Keys View for a nice view of the Coachella Valley from PS to the Salton Sea.

On the way back to Indian Wells, maybe stop in Pioneertown to see the old movie set and have a bite to eat at Pappy and Harriets.

Pics

https:/…

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
681 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from Indian Wells

Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions. My teens are both recovering from mono and I'm hoping they are back to 100% by spring break so we can enjoy some good hiking. It is nice to know there are some easier hikes too. I can't wait to get my girls in the sunshine and maybe take a break for our vitamin D supplements!

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from Indian Wells

Great suggestions and keep in mind there are LOTS of really wonderful hikes in the Coachella Valley within easy distance of IW too. Trails in La Quinta at the back of the cove, just up the road, i.e. Bear Creek Oasis, Boo Hoff....

In Mecca to the east....Painted Canyon, with the famous Ladder Canyon hike, a real crowd pleaser.

To the west, the Art Smith, the Cross, Bump n' Grind, then all of the wonderful trails in Palm Springs, from the Indian Canyons, Lykken, PS Tramway, etc.

Edited: 27 January 2015, 13:52
Reply to: day trip from Indian Wells
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree