We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Driving Tour in August Questions

los angeles
Level Contributor
554 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Driving Tour in August Questions

Hello Experts, I'm planning to make a three to five hour visit to Joshua Tree Park in Early August, while staying in Indio at the Wyndham close to the 10FWY.

As it will be hot, I imagine most of the time I will be in the car, stopping often at various sites, taking photos, with maybe a few VERY short hikes. Suggestions and advice please:

Should I enter at the Southern Entrance and drive thru the park exiting on the North? Should I backtrack from Indio and enter at the North Entrance? Are most of the best sites in the North part of the park or the South? If it makes sense to backtrack to enter on the North and leave from the North as well, I'm fine with that. I want to maximize the best stops and views, and don't need to drive the length of the park unless that is the best recommended route and tour. Having said that, looking at the map, I'm way closer to the South Entrance.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to your responses.

Edited: 21 July 2015, 06:10
Joshua Tree Excursions - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Cliffhanger Guides
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Climbing Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
The Climbing Life Guides - Private Trips
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Climbing Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Joshua Tree...
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Driving Tour in August Questions

Hi - Not sure why no one has responded to your post but maybe because it was posted under Joshua Tree as opposed to Joshua Tree National Park or because the park is 1243 square miles and a couple hours is not much. Depending on what time of day you go (morning or evening) you can certainly get out of the car and take a hike. There is usually a breeze.

You might want to analyze the mileage entering from the south because you have to drive really far to get to the north so why not just enter from the north?

Here are some links to other posters asking the same question. (Or just go to the Joshua Tree National Park forum and read previous posts.)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143037-i4367-k657…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143037-i4367-k863…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143037-i4367-k867…

los angeles
Level Contributor
554 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Driving Tour in August Questions

Thank you LA dweller. Yes, I posted to the park forum as well and got some responses. I will take a look at the links you provided. That is my plan, to enter from the north and do the loop coming out at 29 palms.

3. Re: One Day Driving Tour in August Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2016, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree