We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

Happy Valley, Oregon
9 posts
Save Topic
Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

We are in Palm Dessert & want to do a hike at Joshua Tree Wednesday. Any suggestions for the top areas to hike/visit? 3-5 miles preferably.

Thank you!

Christy

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
6 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,986 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

Check out my trip report from Friday if you want to see some blooms.

My favorite hike is Ryan Mountain for the 360 views, or for an easy walk Wall Street Mill for the relics.Lost Horse Mine or Pine City are others I like. If you head way south Mastodon Peak with Salton Sea views.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14303…

Other pics

https:/…JoshuaTreeNationalPark

Edited: 22 March 2016, 12:08
Mentioned in this post
Ryan Mountain
Ryan Mountain
109 Reviews
Joshua Tree National Park, CA
Lost Horse Mine
Lost Horse Mine
69 Reviews
Salton Sea
Salton Sea
310 Reviews
California
Happy Valley, Oregon
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

Thank you! I appreciate the tips!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

One of the highlights of JTNP is the large boulders. I'd choose a place around there for hiking.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
381 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

Starting to research JT and appreciated your post with links, as it gave me extra info. We're planning a few days at JT around Sept 11. Looks like it will be warm if not hot, so thinking camping at Blackrock (tent) might be a bit better. Read your notes about recommended hikes. Followed your link to the Geology tour, and read back 4 pages. If I'm reading it right, most people say rangers suggest only going to marker 9 if not in an official 4 WD. We drive a Subaru outback which is only AWD and 8 1/2 inches of ground clearance. We've done "roads" like the Cottonwood Canyon road, Notam-Bullfrog, Valley of the Gods loop, as well as Wolverine Loop, House Rock Rd to access Coyote Buttes and Hole in the rock road out to Spooky slot canyon, but not sure I want to beat myself up by going too far. Any other recommendations besides what you posted. Should we invest in the Nat Geo map if only going for 3 days? Any and all info appreciated.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,986 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

You should be fine on the Geology Tour Road with a Subaru. It's not that difficult of a road.It can get a bit sandy (that is where you might want 4x4) but other than that, generally pretty easy, with a few small rocks here and there.I have never needed 4x4 on that road, just some clearance.

Now if you took the spur road called Berdoo Canyon, that ends up down in the Coachella Valley, you would probably want a vehicle with some more clearance.Except for a few spots, you really don't need to use 4x4 on that road either.

If you have been on all those roads in UT, the Geology Tour should be pretty easy.

Black Rock is over near Yucca Valley, but sort of isolated from the parts of the park you will want to visit. It does have water though. I would look at some of the other places in the main part of the park. If you look at the park website, Jumbo Rocks and Black Rock are very similar in elevation, with a Jumbo Rocks being a few hundred feet higher. No water though.

https:/…campgrounds.htm

I really like the Nat Geo maps, and use them often to check out where roads go. Not too many dirt roads within JTNP as compared to say the Mojave Preserve or Death Valley. Your call if you want to spend the money.

Edited: 29 April 2018, 06:31
Mentioned in this post
Geology Tour Road
Geology Tour Road
48 Reviews
Coachella
Coachella
42 Reviews
Coachella, CA
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
381 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?

Dez40, Thanks for the quick reply. I am a bit over the top when it comes to planning. I don't know how I ever did my adventures without the internet. LOL I did print up all the campground info including maps, facilities, # of sites etc. We kinda like the convenience of water but have often gotten by with the water we carry, usually under 10 gallons. And in looking at the pics of campsites seems like the ones without water have a more interesting feel with rocks all around. Do you have a fav? I did find a map of the Geology Motor Tour and can see where it intersects with the Berdoo. So I think I'll take your advice and plan on the first. Since I don't have a benchmark book for California I might just spring for all JT, and am thinking about getting the Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings while I'm at it, since we're hitting those as well. If you think of anything else PM or post a message. Since it seems I'll be there outside the busy season I'm thinking we'll just show up rather than reserve. We already have more reservations than usual with Yosemite (3 days Lower Pines) and Sequoia. And just starting to look at hike info from NPS site. Given the expected heat we'll probably stick with the moderate hikes and have so far noted Skull Rock, Lost Horse and Ryan Mountain as candidates. Our upper limit is really 8 miles and 1,000 feet or so, similar to Horseshoe Canyon, but that one was not as hot, maybe mid 80's. Thanks again for the input.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Skull Rock
Skull Rock
385 Reviews
Ryan Mountain
Ryan Mountain
109 Reviews
Reply to: Best hike & sights in Joshua Tree?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Joshua Tree