We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
144 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Just had a great bottle of wine and it was from a vineyard in Lodi. My husband and I will be visiting CA in Sept. We will be driving from Yosemite NP onto to Calistoga. We know it will be a long drive and so we would love to make a wine stop in Lodi on the way. How long a drive would it be? It seems to be on the way to Napa/Sonoma. What would be the best route to take from the Yosemite area to get to Lodi ?

Any recommendations on wineries to visit? We love reds.

Thanks,

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Jessie's Grove is one we really enjoyed in Lodi. :)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Adventurer,

Syrahgirl is right, Jessie's Grove is a great stop. I'd also recommend Harney Lane (their Lizzie James Zin is great, they also have a very nice Albariño which is a fantastic Spanish white to drink on a hot day) Across the street (on Harney Lane no less, it's easy access East of Hwy 99) is Mettler Vineyards. We also enjoy Borra Vineyards, Van Ruiten, Klinker Brick and Michael David. Downtown Lodi also has many tasting rooms where you can just park your car and walk around a few blocks. Check out www.lodiwine.com for a wine trail map.

Getting from Yosemite to Lodi is easy. Take the Hwy 120 route out of the park towards Groveland, then follow it down through Oakdale to. Hwy 99. Head North from Manteca about 45 minutes and your there!

Leaving Lodi you'd get an opportunity to drive West through the Delta. Hit Michael David winery as your last stop (right after you hit the local In N Out Burger for a taste of a California hamburger lol) then continue West on Hwy 12 through Rio Vista and on to Fairfield. In Fairfield you take Hwy 80 West a few miles to Hwy 29 then West to Napa.

Have a great trip! Yosemite is beautiful even in September, it's my favorite place on the planet!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

And you can sing this old standard along the way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvm5fac1Yg

J C
Lodi, California
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Hello,

Septembers a great time to visit! I would begin with this map.

www.lodiwine.com/wineries/wine-trail-map it's a great place to start. The Lodi Wine & Visitors Center and tasting room is located on Turner Road (conveniently located between both Highway 99 and Interstate 5) this is also where Wine & Roses Hotel Restaurant Spa is located. www.winerose.com. If you are looking for accommodations, breakfast, lunch or dinner or a spa treatment after wine tasting, there isn't any reason to look further.

Macchia winery only produces reds and a trip to Oak Ridge winery for OZV is a personal favorite. I concur with Shiloh8912. Downtown is a great place to taste and making both Van Ruiten winery and Michael David winery (not to be missed) your last two stops on the way out of town via Highway 12 is a good idea. Happy traveling!

Edited: 17 February 2014, 13:50
Level Contributor
36,202 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Welcome JC in Lodi! I agree with you that Wine and Roses is very nice. We had a very memorable lunch there and would love to return for dinner. The Old Vine Zin in this area is awesome! :).

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Not to discourage purchasing wine from the local wineries, but a great place to buy wine at an amazing discount is Food 4 Less on the corner of Lower Sacramento Road and Kettleman Lane. They usually have 6-12 local wineries for sale.

Longmont, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma

Start with a stop at the Lodi Wine & Visitors Center. You will be able to taste some of the local wines. The tasting room staff are very knowledgable about the wineries, restaurants and hotels in the area. The Center is located next to Wine & Roses, so handy for a meal afterwards.

Reply to: Quick visit to Lodi vineyards on our way to sonoma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lodi