We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?

Hi everyone,

We're a couple from the UK who are coming to California for 2 weeks in September. Starting in San Fran and driving over to Lake Tahoe, we thought it would be fun to stop in a wine region for a couple of nights. Having looked at Napa, it seems like it might not fit with us too well - expensive, pretentious (?) and must have bookings well in advance for most wineries. We're much more casual, would like to rent bikes to cycle around and then stop when we feel like it to visit a winery or cafe. Having done a bit of research, Lodi seems to fit the bill a bit better (we are not at all bothered about Napa as a "brand", just as happy tasting an 80% wine from Lodi at half the price of a 90% wine from Napa for example).

I have a few questions which I can't find good answers to -

1) We will be there mid week, Tues 6/Weds 7 Sept - will there be a good number of wineries open? Do we have to make reservations?

2) What is the average price of a tour / tasting?

3) Where is the best place to rent bikes?

4) Is it really a good alternative to Napa for 2 people who are happy to try something a little different?

Thanks!!

14 replies to this topic
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?

What a bunch of haters!! Lodi is a beautiful town and the wineries are varied and fabulous. The downtown is charming and has great places to eat and drink. Its not expensive and pretentious like Napa. Seriously, Lodi gets about as much recognition as Napa did in the 80's but just wait......

California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?

The OP was here in September.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?

foundalive - I didn't see any hate anywhere on this thread. I'm not sure what you are reading into the comments. I saw compliments about Lodi wines, comments about the summer time heat in the valley that can make sightseeing uncomfortable, and suggestions of other wine regions that like Lodi, aren't as pretentious as Napa, yet generally have cooler weather in September. And yes, the OP's trip was in September...

California
Level Contributor
177 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?

Lodi is known for its great wine that is sold at quite reasonable prices. Most wineries are small, family owned businesses where you may well be able to meet the owner. Lodi was even named "Wine Region of the Year" by Wine Enthusiast Magazine: lodinews.com/news/article_c77ac144-827b-11e5…

Reply to: Lodi wine region as a non-pretentious alternative to Napa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lodi