We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Topic
Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

As looking at staying at the travelodge on sunset/vermont but dunno what the area is like?

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

I would characterize the area as busy and non-descript. It is certainly convenient to the Red Line, if that's a factor for you. The location is convenient to Hollywood, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park and downtown. West Hollywood is reasonably convenient, too via Sunset & Santa Monica Blvd.

There are some interesting things nearby.

1) Little retail strip on Vermont with excellent small bookstore -- Skylight Books.

2) The glorious old movie theater, the Vista, is nearby. Awesome place to see a movie.

3) There's a quirky store called Whacko! (sic?) on Sunset just east of Vermont. Look it up and see if it appeals.

4) There's a famous chicken place which was born around there. Zankou's chicken, I think. I was underwhelmed.

5) Griffith Park is straight up Vermont. There's also a shuttle from the Red Line station at Sunset. I prefer the entrance to Griffith Park via Western/Los Feliz.

6) Barnsdale Art Park is at Sunset & Hollywood.

HTH

Edited: 19 March 2012, 07:17
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
14,499 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

Recent reviews here on TripAdvisor pretty well sum up the hotel and its location:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77282-R…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

sorry i ment more as in is it rough or a good enough area. as i liked the location of the best value inn on north alvarado but its fully booked on about 3 nights out of the 14 i needed :(, shame its booked already when its 5 months away

Edited: 19 March 2012, 07:21
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

It's a pretty safe area. There are a bunch of hospitals nearby, which I rate as a plus, because there are people around 24/7. If you wander too far down Vermont you get into a perhaps iffy neighborhood, but none of the places that Hitch mentions would lead you into bad turf (but how he could not love Zankou, well even the best of us has occasional lapses!). Vermont/Sunset should have less neighborhood issues than north Alvarado.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

i just liked the fact of being able to walk from my hotel to echo park on north alvarado, but is an hour walk from sunset vermon (ill have a car its just nice to walk and take in the areas sometimes)

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
29,398 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

You'll be fine there. Adjacent to the neighborhood is Thai town with lots of Thai restaurants. You can certainly walk in all directions. There is regular bus service on Sunset Bl (buses run as often as every 3 minutes, at times) so if you get tired walking, just hop on a bus. There are also buses running on Vermont Av, Santa Monica Bl, and Hollywood Bl plus the red line metro rail (subway). If you decide to walk, stop at the red line station first and buy a $5 DAY PASS which will allow unlimited rides on the metro rail and metro buses for the day.

Barnsdall Art Park is a true treasure with great views of the Hollywood sign and the Griffith Observatory plus a free art museum and other attractions.

The Los Feliz community is just a couple of minutes north of the hotel along Vermont Av (it starts at Hollywood Bl) -- with a parallel shopping street along Hillhurst Av to the east -- both with lots of dining options, bars, shops, etc.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

Jason, I am staying there for 6 nights starting this Tuesday. Thanks for posting this question.

I will be more than happy to pop on here and give you my take on it all during my stay. I got the room for $58/night on Piceline Name Your Own Price fyi. Everyone assured me it is a great location and looking forward to the stay.

Everyone has been so informative for me on here, I'd like to give something back.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

I'm really doubtful you'd have any problems walking the area. Maybe at 2 a.m. when bars let out there might be some stupids about. But, I suspect that's not your plan for walking. If there's a rough element, I'm unaware of it.

HTH

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

it just doesnt look as nice on google street view as the best value inn on north alvarado did, is a short walk from echo park which looks nice, but then north alvarado street in real life is probably not as nice as it looks on google.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
48,816 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Little Armenia an ok neighbourhood?

The area is safe and I love Zankou chicken, although I thought the Glendale store was the first one.

I would rather be at the Travellodge Vermont than anything near Echo Park.