We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flights at Oakland airport

Grays Thurrock...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Connecting flights at Oakland airport

I will be travelling from Las Vegas to Oakland on southwest internal flight and then need to travel onwards from Oakland to London. I have seen flights that land at 1.50pm. Would this allow enough time to meet connecting flight at 4.20pm. My return flight is with ba in the other terminal. I can check in online but will have luggage to drop off

Your feedback would be appreciated

10 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,822 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

When I travel in foreign countries and need to travel to another city to catch my international flight , I go the day before to make sure I make it on time!

I would not travel on a separate ticket and arrive 2 hrs before any international flight!

You may not be as risk averse as I am but if it was my trip I'd take an early AM flight from LAS or I'd go the day before OR I'd just book a flight to London from LAS.

Why go west to travel east???

BTW it is not a "connecting" flight if bought on separate tickets!

Edited: 01 March 2017, 00:49
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,856 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

>>Why go west to travel east???<<

Because the BA or maybe it was Norwegian flight prices to the UK from Oakland are very good. I would have taken that flight were it not for timing issues.

But I agree while if everything goes smoothly, you MAY be ok, But check in time for international flight starts 3 hours before departure and sometimes checked luggage check in stops 90 minutes before flight time. I guess it depends how risk tolerant/aversed you are. Do you have good travel insurance? What is your plan B if you miss the connection? Because it is on two tickets, BA doesn't owe you a thing if you are late. You will have to purchase another ticket.

If I were to do this, I would give myself 4-5 hours or come the night before and stay at a nearby hotel. You can take the last flight from Vegas to Oakland or one of the earlier one.

Also check the on time performance of the LAS-OAK flight.

Edited: 01 March 2017, 02:04
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,655 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

Agree with RIff. I would come to Oakland on the first flight of the day and have a six or more hours between these NON connecting flights. You are on separate tickets to it is not a connecting flight.

Travel insurance won't cover mistakes made by the passenger. One has to read the T&C to be exactly sure.

Edited: 01 March 2017, 02:07
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,856 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

Not bad on time performance:

flightstats.com/go/…

I would take the 2 earlier flights - there is one that lands at 11:05a. Get to Oakland airport and chill and have a leisurely meal once you check in.

flightstats.com/go/…

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

If your flight from Las Vegas gets into Oakland at 1:50 PM you should be OK. If there was a flight that got into Oakland earlier, I'd go for that.

Grays Thurrock...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

Thanks for your replys. I have already booked return flights uk to Oakland, we are travelling diwn the coast from sf to la then onto Vegas. I will book the earlier flight as suggested

Middlebury...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

If you have a long layover (6+ hours) in Oakland International, what would you do with your luggage? My son is doing this with his wife and 2 babies, lots of luggage. What can they do all day? They land in the a.m. and leave in the p.m. Thanks!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

My Grandchildren are flying on Southwest from Burbank Ca. to Salt Lake City , Utah. Their flight takes them to Oakland, Ca where they will catch a connecting flight to Utah, with about a 45 minute layover. How do they get their luggage from the first plane and make it to the connection in a timely manner?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

Checked luggage will be transferred automatically. Terminal 2 is a manageable size, so it only take a few minutes to walk between the various gates.

There should not be any connection issues unless the first flight is late. Southwest will hold the connecting flight even if there is only a few minutes to get between the two planes.

California
Level Contributor
906 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting flights at Oakland airport

I am very risk averse, but I totally agree with davdaven here, and I wouldn't be worried. It's a pretty darned small airport, and it isn't usually too busy. Let us know how it goes.

Reply to: Connecting flights at Oakland airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted