We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay when working in oakland

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay when working in oakland

hi guys, i'm visiting oakland next month and will be working around this area Oakland , CA 94621

im not really looking to drive anywhere so i was hoping to stay close...although i'd like to take a bit of spare time and go to SF do some sightseeing when i get the chance.

should i stay in SF? i hear its safer there...or can i stay local to this address? would daily taxi's from SF be expensive? or is there a train /bus i can catch?

any advice would be great

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: where to stay when working in oakland

It could be hard finding a good place near BART in SF on your budget. I'd stay in downtown Oakland, maybe the Clarion or Washington Inn, and use BART to and from work. It's also an easy ride on BART to SF or Berkeley at night if you feel like exploring.

I'm assuming your workplace is on the west side of Interstate 880, which will be about a 25-30 minute walk from the Coliseum BART station. It's OK during the day. You don't want to be walking around the Coliseum BART station at night unless there's an event going on. It's not the safest area.

There are airport hotels near where you'll be working, but it's a light industrial area with not much going on. You might feel stranded after dark.

Mentioned in this post
The Washington Inn
The Washington Inn
239 Reviews
Oakland, CA
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: where to stay when working in oakland

>>and i'm unlikely to use it at night<<

There's no reason to avoid BART itself at night, it's walking from the Coliseum BART station to/from your office (or an airport hotel) that you'll want to avoid. If you stay on the BART line in downtown Oakland, you'd be fine getting to/from downtown SF at night.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: where to stay when working in oakland

well its all going on here...hardest trip i've ever had to arrange....so now it seems i'll fly into SF on saturday...so i think i'll stay in SF saturday night...then i can explore sunday...get a cab to work monday then a car from work to my hotel...will look at waterfront that looks nice enough and i can go running in that area i think)...i'll just stick around there at night during the week...then friday night head back to SF so i've another night and day there before i fly back on saturday night....so the next questions is...if you had 2 night and one day in SF...what would you do ?

thanks for all the advice guys you are all really helpful and i really appreciate it.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: where to stay when working in oakland

Oh and anything cool to do in the evening? Any sports events that week?

Reply to: where to stay when working in oakland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted