We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night

orlando
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night

I posted this on the Berkeley forum but feel the need to get a couple more responses to my question on this forum...My domestic flight lands at the Oakland airport at 11;20 p.m. on a Wed. night and I need to get to the North Berkeley Bart station to where I am staying. I also am on a tight budget. I was planning to get the Bart shuttle to the Coliseum and transfer to the Bart train to the North Berkeley station. I'll have a small carry-on roller bag with me. I am an active 69 yr. old male. Would this be relatively safe to do? I know the timing is a bit tight at that time of night and would have to use a Lyft in case it doesn't work. Thanks so much for your insight and opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
Oakland
Oakland
California
4 replies to this topic
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night

Sorry, I was absent from here for a couple weeks. Just responded to your post on the Berkeley forum. Uber and Lyft are good fallback options if something goes wrong, and an Uber Pool or Lyft Line trip costs about double the BART fare.

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
R K
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night

Another option, if you have a drivers license, a smart phone, and won't feel too tired, is to join Gig CarShare. It's free to join. It's a local car share that you can take one-way and park pretty much anywhere in the "home Zone" - which includes both Oakland airport (there are a few dedicated Gig car parking spots) and the area around North Berkeley BART (which, by the way, also has dedicated spaces in the BART lot.) As soon as you land, you can check if there is a car available at the Airport and drive it to your destination in North Berkeley. And if you do end up taking BART, but have a bit distance to cover once you get to N. Berkeley, you could also see if a car is available there (assuming you're not too tired for driving). Downside is you can reserve only 30 minutes ahead, so there's no guarantee there will be a car available, but it's worth a try. And, as I said, free to join and download the app. It won't cost more than $15 (the maximum per-hour rate) - and they typically have sign-up bonus promo that might even cover that whole cost. Even if you dont' use it from/to the airport, it could be handy during your stay.

https://gigcarshare.com/

Edited: 28 February 2018, 13:53
Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
orlando
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night

What a great idea...I would definitely check this out if available and use it...don't think I will use the Bart at that time of night now...the gentleman where I am staying doesn't think it's the best idea either...thanks, again, for your info...and I can use Lyft as a backup...One other question and thank you for this...I plan to attend some theatre and a concert possibly in San Francisco in the evening and would have to come back to Berkeley...is it still possibly unsafe in the evening at around 11 p.m...Could go to a matinee...thanks for your thoughts...

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,623 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night

yes you can use BART at that time of the night and you can use BART from SF to Berkeley - -It is not an issue. As with any major area be street smart and while no metro in the country is 100% safe, and BART is not an exception to that -- you will be ok taking BART late night. If you are concerned, get in the first compartment which is the Driver's compartment. Also there is a BART connector (looks like the train at most airports on elevated tracks) from OAK to the Coliseum station so no need to take the shuttle

Mentioned in this post
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
Reply to: Oakland Airport to North Berkeley/Bart Station/Late at Night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted