We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

We are flying into Oakland late on a Wednesday night and leaving Friday afternoon because our family is three rail foamers and it's a total bucket list item for our DS to ride the Embarcadero. I've seen a lot of discussion about traveling from the airport to one's hotel, but nothing that mentions taxi service. Is it bad, not safe, really expensive or just not used much because most people are renting cars or using public transport? (Don't want to do BART or driving at the end of a day that will start around six am.) We are staying at the Waterfront, spending Thursday taking Amtrak to the Railroad Museum and have reservations for Yoshis for dinner and the Count Basie Orchestra that evening. So excited for this part of our trip and TIA for any and all advice and comments!

8 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,662 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

Sorry I am a little lose here. What is the "Embarcadero"? I assume it's the name of a train, but I don't know where this train goes.

Sure you can ride taxi to your hotel (or Uber/Lyft). There is no train or BART that goes from the Oakland airport to the Waterfront Hotel. But since you are taking Amtrak Capitol Corridor to see the Railroad Museum in Sacramento, then take the same train back to Jack London Square for Yoshi. Then after the concert you can just walk back to your hotel.

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the confusion. To restate the question, was wondering about the availability and cost of taking a cab late night from the airport to the Waterfront.

And to answer your question, the Embarcadero is a road near Jack London square that has a multi-track, high volume rail line embedded in it. So when we take the Amtrak Thursday up to Sacramento we will have auto traffic on both sides of us for that part of the trip which is pretty unique and special.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

Almost nobody uses cabs anymore. Uber and Lyft are dominant. However, there are a handful of taxis still around. You can catch one at OAK if you really would rather take it than an Uber or Lyft. I'm sure it'll be more expensive than Uber or Lyft, but I don't know by how much because I can't remember the last time literally anyone I know took a taxi. Try giving the cab companies listed here a call for rates: oaklandairport.com/ground-transportation/…

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

I actually thought they were referring to the street car line?

Oh never mind, you answered. Interesting! That would not have occurred to me. Have fun!

Edited: 21 March 2018, 02:58
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

The reason I was thinking taxi is because we are landing late at night somewhere none of us had been to before. Did some research and our hotel (the Waterfront) has car service so will probably go with that. Thanks all for the help.

California
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

FYI. Oakland indeed has an Embarcadero. Even though we have an Oakland abode, once we stayed at the Homewood Suites on.....the Embarcadero. At the Homewood Suites one could get a "water" view or one that looks at I-880. So no competition with the far better known Embarcadero in you know where.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

Taxis are fine and yes, there should be some available at the airport. Nobody mentions them because they work pretty much the way taxis everywhere work, so I don't think folks have many questions about them.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans

I would opt for Uber... the last cab I ordered for my daughter at the airport cost $30:/ Uber on the way back inly cost $8... The Embarcadero is a nice place my kids like watching the trains. Try Chicken & Waffles its really good👌🏽 Theres also a small dive bar the next block up called Merchants. Very divey but super cheap drinks. Enjoy

Reply to: late night airport to JLS for three rail fans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted