We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

We are staying in Burbank the night before the parade and plan to drive to Union Station, park and take the Gold Line to Pasadena. Having never been to Pasadena or used public transportation in LA I am looking for specific information as to where to get off the train. Our seats are in Area 1, 235 W. Colorado Blvd. Will it be obvious where to get off or do I need to know the name of the stop? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Burbank
Burbank
California
Union Station
Union Station
1,579 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

Everything you need to know is here:

tournamentofroses.com/rose-parade/parade-day…

"Metro Gold Line to accommodate the large numbers of anticipated riders on January 1. Beginning at 5 a.m. and continuing through 9 p.m., trains will run as frequently as every 7-8 minutes to and from Pasadena. Exit at the Memorial Park, Lake, Allen or Del Mar stations; all are just a short walk from the parade route."

Have a great time, I love that parade.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,895 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

You don't want to drive all the way Downtown, just to get the Gold Line back up to Pasadena and then have to go back down to DTLA and back up to Burbank.

Either look at parking in South Pasadena near a Metro station or bite the bullet and buy parking at Parsons.

Look at the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qz1YF5JD3BP2

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Burbank
Burbank
California
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

There are many stops in Passdena. Surgie needs help finding the stop closest to her seats.

I agree that parking at Parsons may be the better alternative.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

Memorial Park station is closest to your seats. Walk south on Arroyo Parkway to Colorado Blvd, then turn right and walk about 5 blocks to your seat locations.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

OK thanks for info. I had gotten advice on the LA forum a couple months ago to take the Gold Line from Union Station so good to know there are other alternatives. When I bought the Rose Parade tickets, I also bought a parking pass. The lot looks fairly near our seats on the map provided. But we are second guessing the plan to drive and park.

Our issue is at the end of the parade...we need to leave ASAP and get to our car which will be packed and ready to drive to LAX for a 2:45 flight (and return the rental car and check a bag...but we have TSA Pre-Check which helps). I'm afraid if we drive all the way to Pasadena, it will be a madhouse trying to get out and get to LAX. So help please! Which do you think is our most efficient option considering our timetable?

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,579 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rose Parade
Rose Parade
113 Reviews
Pasadena, CA
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,895 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

You will wait a long time for the Gold Line as well when the parade is done. I wish there was an easy, right answer.

The parade in your section will be over by 10AM. You should be in your car and moving by 11AM, LAX is 45 minutes away, car crop off takes 30 minutes....... I THINK you would make it okay, but...

Considering you are going from Union Station to LAX as opposed to going back to Burbank, driving to DTLA might be a better plan, but (again with the buts) I would be less thrilled about leaving my packed rental car at Union Station than I would in Pasadena.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,579 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Burbank
Burbank
California
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

I disagree. Traffic leaving Pasadena may be very jammed, esp. from that area, and quite unpredictable. The Gold Line runs lots of extra trains and I would not anticipate having to wait very long if at all. Expect the trains to be crowded though.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

Thanks for the tip to get off at the Memorial Park stop. We may do a dry run the day before the parade. Crowded trains would not be a problem...we will not be taking much to the parade. Oh gosh I just don't know what to do. I don't want to miss our flight but I hated the thought of being so close and not going to the parade. We won't have too much luggage so hopefully we can keep it camouflaged in the rental car if we park at Union Station. We can get up and get going as early as needed from the hotel in Burbank (SpringHill Suites). So I'm not at all concerned about getting to the parade.

If we decide to take the Gold Line, does the Union Station stop make the most sense to catch it knowing that we are driving from Burbank and going right from the station to LAX after the parade?

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,579 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Burbank
Burbank
California
SpringHill Suites at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
SpringHill Suites at...
442 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

Keep your luggage in the trunk, show nothing inside the car (not even a jacket or maps). Keep your valuables with you.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,895 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to get off the Gold Line for our seats at Rose Parade?

Union Station has the biggest parking lot and is very close to the freeways.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,579 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA