We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
33 reviews
Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

We are open to any kind of food. We will have a car but may prefer to walk. Looking for a nicer restaurant.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,280 posts
435 reviews
1. Re: Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

The Springhill Suites "Pasadena" is actually in Arcadia near Santa Anita Race Track. I get that you are here for the Rose Bowl, but Opening Day at Santa Anita is Dec 26 and it is a great place to see a race.

As to dining in Arcadia, there is a lot of very good Asian food. The San Gabriel Valley is LA's new Chinatown. Near the hotel is Capital Seafood, which has a great dim sum lunch. Also close for great Chinese are Din Tai Fung and Yi Mei.

Right around the Springhill Suites are mostly mediocre chains. A couple of decent chain restaurants are BJ's Brewhouse and Claim Jumper. Old school steakhouse is The Derby. At 93 years old it is one of the LA area's older restaurants.

Another old school LA place nearby I would not miss is Clearman's Galley.

http://clearmansgalley.com/

Edited: 14 December 2015, 02:33
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,854 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

If you don't mind driving, I suggest you drive to Old Town Pasadena, lots of options there. We like Santorini's.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

The Derby, a venerable old-style restaurant (steaks etc) is just a block from your hotel. It is a real tradition in Arcadia, esp. with the local racing community from the nearby Santa Anita Racecourse. I've heard it is good. (Not personally a huge fan of big pieces of red meat, so haven't gone myself.) I'd recommend it over Clearmans, also an old style meat place. I dislike it, even though it has been around forever. Retro food, in a bad way, in my opinion.

There are some great Chinese restaurants quite nearby. As Scott mentioned, you are staying near the heart of the San Gabriel Valley, home of some of the best Chinese restaurants in the nation. I haven't personally eaten at Capital Seafood (around corner from your hotel) but reviews indicate that it is good, and it wouldn't last long in the SGV if it didn't serve good food. If you don't have Dim Sum in your neck of the woods, I highly recommend giving it a try at lunchtime. Dinner is probably good too-- it seems like a more upscale restaurant, which you indicate you might be looking for.

One of my favorite restaurants in the world is Din Tai Fung, on Baldwin south of Huntington in Arcadia. Very very crowded for weekend lunch; try weekdays, lunch or dinner. Famous for their "juicy dumplings" which you HAVE to get, but other dishes delicious too.

The Santa Anita Mall (just west of Racetrack, very near hotel but not walking) has recently attracted a few very upscale Chinese and Korean restaurants to their outdoor section, at the southwest corner, facing Baldwin. I think they are repositioning the mall as a destination upscale Asian destination mall. At least one of the restaurants is already open, not sure about all. Very deluxe looking place for hot pot, haven't tried it because it is a bit expensive for everyday. HaiDiLao Hotpot.

Another local favorite for a very casual meal or just a beer is Matt Denny's Ale House, also walking distance from your hotel. Ordinary food, kind of a hangout, music sometimes.

Edited: 15 December 2015, 04:06
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

Also , we have friends who like Tokyo Wako , sort of a Benihana kind of place. Haven't tried it myself. Also within a couple blocks of hotel.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

Thanks that's all very helpful.

6. Re: Suggestion for dinner in Pasadena near Springhill Suites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2016, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Pasadena