We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

Boone, Iowa
5 posts
Save Topic
Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

Hi, I'm flying into the Cable Airport and staying in Rancho Cucamonga for the Rose Bowl game. We were planning on taking uber to and from the game. Wheres the best place to have them drop us off at? I was looking at the Parsons lot and catching the free shuttle but is there a better place or can you walk from that lot? What time would you recommend leaving for the game? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
The Rose Hotel
The Rose Hotel
174 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

Yes Parsons is a good spot. You can walk from there if you don't mind the mile and a half walk. Rancho is about an hour's drive to Parsons.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

You couldnt have choosen a worse spot to stay than RC.

Parsons is as good as any spot depending on what you want to do before the game. I like to hit a bar in Old Town pregame and then walk to PArsons about 30 minutes before kick off.

Traffic will get bad on your drive if y ou dont leave pretty early, as you know you have a long drive from RC to Pasadena.

I try and get to Old Town before the PArade ends and that works well for me to avoid any traffic, then I find a bar,

Go PAC12!!

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,102 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

GoodBeer, OP is flying into Rancho, probably on a private plane.

Boone, Iowa
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

Yes flying in on a private plane. We got our tickets late and all the hotels around were full so that's how we ended up in RC out by Ontario Mills. We have friends who have tailgate spots so we are meeting them there. I think we'll take uber to Parsons and walk from there or just drop us off closer if we get there early. the game's at 1:30 when should we leave? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Ontario Mills
Ontario Mills
734 Reviews
Ontario, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,136 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

I think kick is actually around 2:15

If it were me I'd leave at 830 get to Parsons and then down into the RB by 1000am and start tailgating

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,954 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

Metrolink is running special trains, but I would rent a car and park AT the stadium, not Parson's. Uber will be uber expensive.

Are you not going to the parade?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,136 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

If you are going to be drinking as I would be I wouldn't drive myself. The sell beer at the game.

Last RB game I did drive myself was for the SC vs Texas game and I arrived about 3 hours before kick it took about an hour once I was off the freeway to get parked, never again

An alternative to avoid parade traffic is to take Uber to a metro stop somewhere along the 210 and take that to Parsons.

I've been to about 4 RBs in the past 7 years and I tend to try something different every year, driving yourself unless you go real early is the worst option.

Edited: 27 December 2015, 09:06
Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Boone, Iowa
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

I've looked into uber and the price was $70-90. I thought that was fine. Über does operate in RC right? I don't want to rent a car then have to find a place to park. I cant stand traffic and waiting so I'll be in for it on this trip. I only have a 5 minute commute at home! Just get dropped off and go. No we are not going to the parade my wife is not with me on this trip! I looked into the metrolink that might be an option if it comes to that. After the game Would you catch the bus back to parsons and call uber? Is there any place or shortcuts to walk to get out of traffic and call them? Like If we walk east to Lincoln ave it's close to 210? Thanks very informative

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,954 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

If you are doing Uber, I would take Uber to the furthest east terminal of the Gold Line, which is Sierra Madre and then take the Gold Line to Memorial Park so the Uber isn't caught in traffic. Just reverse

that on the way out.

https://www.metro.net/riding/maps/gold-line/

After the game I would walk to Memorial Park and not try to use the shuttles.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way into the Rose Bowl Game?

Scott's advice is good, EXCEPT, that the Gold Line station is NOT on Sierra Madre-- it is on Sierra Madre VILLA, a completely different street,AND a different freeway offramp, You'll get off at the Sierra Madre Villa/Madre exit. You'll overshoot if you get off at Sierra Madre Blvd.

Confusing, I know. The station is called Sierra Madre Villa, not Sierra Madre, for a reason.