We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

England
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
463 reviews
Save Topic
Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

I have a couple of quick questions for a brief stop off in Santa Barbara on a Sunday in mid April. We won’t be staying long and will probably have a little wonder of downtown, stearns wharf and the beach.

Is it safe for us to leave our luggage in the trunk unattended? Obviously we won’t leave anything visible, but I just wondered if it’s safe enough to leave our possessions out of view? We will take valuables out in advance obviously :-)

If we want a quick snack/lunch without sitting down for ages (we have to get to Palm Springs by dinner time!) will we find some quick eats on Stearns Wharf or are we better off downtown? We can always picnic or grab an In N Out if not but I figured there must be some nice casual or take out places around? We don’t eat seafood and that’s mostly what I’m seeing on the pier!

Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
6,239 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

Sounds like you know the routine and should have no problems. There are restaurants right on the wharf with burgers, full brunch or picnic-table seafood. Brophy Bros is walkable, too. The wharf area is quite busy on Sunday mornings with an art sale along the boardwalk, so if you can't find parking or if you're nervous about safety, just a few miles down highway 101, pull off at the Santa Claus Lane exit and have a seaside meal at the Padaro Beach Grill. You can park, and see your car from the picnic-table area.

www.padarobeachgrill.com

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,619 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

We were in Santa Barbara a few months ago (Friday) before lunch and check in. So we drove right on Stern's Wharf with luggage in car, and ate at SB Shellfish Co at end of pier. You could go inside to eat, but we always choose to sit outside on the picnic tables and have our Crab or Lobster, or any seafood to your liking.

No worry of people taking luggage. Of course, don't leave camera, etc. on front seats. haha

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,521 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

Yes, you have the right precautions. There's still some risk, which you can mitigate further by parking in a busy location, near any sort of parking attendant that might be present, and perhaps backed up against something that would make it hard to open the trunk.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,459 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

I think Stearn's Wharf is the easiest. I love the Santa Barbara Shellfish Co.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

Just don't transfer anything from the car to the trunk, after you park, where anyone can see you doing it.....that may seem like an unnecessary caution, but you would be surprised at how many people do just that. :~)

England
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
463 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

Thanks everyone - we will definitely not be transferring things around, I am a little on the paranoid side when it comes to safety, hence the question! We will make sure we move things around in advance if needed.

Got to know we will be OK, I have been thinking the same about parking up against a wall or something for an extra layer of security!

We will have a look into the suggested restaurants, we aren't into seafood but hopefully some of them will have other things on the menu.

Thanks!

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

There's always the Beachside Bar and Cafe right on the sand in Goleta. It's literally 5 mins from the airport, a great little tropical island themed cafe with a big patio and views of Goleta Beach. There's a small pedestrian pier to walk out as well.

Level Contributor
38,527 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

SB Shellfish Co has very good food for a wharf restaurant. Enjoy your time in Santa Barbara! ⛱

Edited: 16 March 2017, 21:30
9. Re: Quick stop off - casual eats and luggage safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2018, 12:18