We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a hotel

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
200 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing a hotel

My husband and I are planning to spend a few days in Santa Barbara after attending a conference in LA. We wanted an ocean view, so we had planned on staying at the Harbor View Inn, but we understand that there is a lot of construction around that hotel. We're now considering the Fess Parker or the Santa Barbara Inn. It sounds like the Fess Parker has a nice property but rooms are a little run-down. Santa Barbara Inn looks nice, but it's farther from town.

Please let me know if you have any input or suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
1,401 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara Inn
Santa Barbara Inn
219 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
5,710 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

One review mentions some construction nearby but it doesn't seem to have bothered them in their particular room though they said it might on the construction side of the hotel. I would phone the front desk, tell them what you've heard and ask if they have ocean-view rooms that are not affected by construction noise.

If it were a real annoyance you can be certain you'd be reading about it in review after review as that is a traveler's pet peeve.

Edited: 30 March 2017, 03:35
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

Are you talking about construction around State St? We get ocean view rooms at the Harbor View and there is no construction on the property. There is a lovely view of the lawn and pool area before the beach. We love staying there! Give them a call and see if this is something new.

We've also stayed at the Fess Parker in ocean front rooms. The decor seemed fine to us. Just look at all the photos by guests and read reviews. We love the pool, restaurants and lounge areas at the hotel. Handy to rent bikes on property as well!

Mentioned in this post
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
1,401 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
38,054 posts
1,002 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

Call the hotel and ask about the construction noise. We loved our stay at The Harbor View and it is right across the street from Stearn's Wharf. When we were there last March (2016) there was construction near the wharf entrance, is that what you are referring to? :)

Mentioned in this post
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
1,401 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
872 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

There is construction on State street, but I think you will find that it won't affect your hotel stay. I will add one option - The El Encanto is a great option if you want a view. It is on the hillside and has beautiful views of the ocean. If not for your stay, maybe for dinner.

Mentioned in this post
State Street
State Street
2,456 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

Thanks for all the feedback. We did contact the Harbor View Inn and although there is construction on the street, the ocean view rooms face away from it.

Mentioned in this post
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
1,401 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

Glad you took the suggestion and phoned the Harbor View. We are going to SB the week after Easter, and I wasn't worried a bit about the Harbor View having construction.

Have a nice visit!

Mentioned in this post
Harbor View Inn
Harbor View Inn
1,401 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
7. Re: Need help choosing a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2018, 12:17
;