We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches crowded?

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches crowded?

We'll be visiting in the third weekend of August and I'm wondering if I should have any concern about crowds at the Santa Barbara area public beaches? Any issues with parking or lack of space on the beach in the late morning, for example, at beaches like East, Ledbetter, Arroyo Burro, Goleta? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Goleta
Goleta
California
Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
874 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches crowded?

Arroyo Burro has a small parking lot and it can be a pain to find parking on a busy day. That said, I can usually find a spot if I wait and drive through the entire lot. East beach has a pretty good size lot -- there is a small one closer to the volleyball court, but a much bigger lot on the other side of the Carrillo Arts Pavillion. Ledbetter has lots of parking (paid parking). Goleta -- not sure, I've never had an issue there (they have a big lot) but do not go out that way on busy days often. Hope that helps?

There are so many beach options here that I rarely find it "crowded". I think you'll be fine.

Mentioned in this post
East Beach
East Beach
91 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Goleta
Goleta
California
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches crowded?

If you are thinking crowds like the beaches on the east coast, then don't worry. CA beaches aren't like that. There's always space on the beach. Parking is the real issue, but if you lurk around a while, you'll find something.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches crowded?

We visit Santa Barbara a couple times a year and one of those times is in August for our Anniversary. We've never found the beaches that crowded.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches crowded?

Thanks everyone, puts my mind at ease. We spent a day in August in Santa Barbara a few years ago and West beach was deserted, but it wasn't a weekend so I wasn't sure.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
West Beach Inn, a Coast Hotel
West Beach Inn, a Coast...
566 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
California
Level Contributor
704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches crowded?

Arroyo Burro (aka Hendrys by the locals) is the place most of us go to for laying out/family fun. Parking is horrible, but you can park in the residential area and walk in. Go to the Right for no dogs and left for dogs.

New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches crowded?

Thanks for the Hendrys tip. Most of the parking lots for the SB area beaches seems pretty empty on Google Earth, but not Hendrys! It looks like a cool little beach though, so maybe we'll stop there early or late in the day just for a walk and some photography

7. Re: Beaches crowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2018, 13:17