We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

I am planning a bachelorette party girls' getaway for a friend, and almost chose Santa Barbara for the long weekend of June 23-26 2017 until I realized that is the weekend of the Solstice Celebration. My friend is really, really not a fan of crowds. So how crazy and overwhelming does it get? Do restaurants get booked up? Do the visitors typically just come in for the day or stay for the weekend?

I was looking into a resort just a bit outside of SB, so maybe things would be quieter there, but due to crowds it might not be feasible for us to go downtown for an off-resort dinner.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,416 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

I don't think it is a big deal. It is a day thing that might spill over to a few restaurants, but I've never had any issues with it.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,613 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

We've been to other events in Santa Barbara and just work around them. As long as you have reservations for things, you will be fine.

Here is a list of activities, and the parade route: Stay away from State St on noon Saturday.

solsticeparade.com/8-news/42-solstice-worksh…

The resort outside of SB will be nice!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

Thank you! That helps a lot!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

Thank you! It does seem easy enough to avoid the main activities, and easy enough to book our venture into town. Maybe Sunday night of that weekend. Thanks again!

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
874 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

Just stay off State Street to avoid traffic and crowds. Otherwise it is similar to any busy Summer weekend.

It is a really fun event though - If you have people that want to venture into town and see part of the parade or go to the park (that is where the booths are), they will probably enjoy themselves. Spanish Days is very crazy -- Solstice is busy, but more a local event. :) Have a fun time. -Suz

Mentioned in this post
State Street
State Street
2,511 Reviews
Santa Barbara, CA
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

That's good to know! Maybe we'll be up for it - I think it sounds fun, but the bride might opt for low key. Either way, I think we are Santa Barbara-bound! Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
7. Re: How Busy does SB get for Summer Solstice Weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2018, 12:18