We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northstar

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Northstar

We are planning on taking kids for 1st ski trip.

We would like a ski in/out place at Northstar. Any recommendations? I looked at Ritz Carlton, but it is obviously very pricey.

More importantly, where do we fly into? My concern is driving in a rental car in the snow. I also get freaked out driving on mountain passes where there is no shoulder. I was thinking 2 options. Fly into Reno, get a car and drive to Truckee. OR, fly to sacramento and take amtrak to truckee and try to make do without a car. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northstar

Reno/Tahoe International Airport is much closer and more convenient to Truckee. I-80 and SR 267 are not scary at all in the sense you are worried about (of flying off a cliff). The only difficult part of I-80 is the narrow part where it runs through a winding canyon near the state boundary.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
728 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northstar

Flying into Reno would be easiest, its about a 45 minute mostly freeway drive. There is also a shuttle to Northstar. While you don't actually need a car in Northstar, having one would be nice to be able to get around and see the lake.

northlaketahoeexpress.com

Taking the shuttle would be faster and easier than coordinating a Sacramento airport to Amtrak, then Truckee to Northstar effort.

Edited: 26 January 2017, 00:17
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northstar

Fly into Reno and drive. It is a very easy drive.

The Village at Northstar is essentially ski in-ski out. There are also some slopeside condos, but I'd prefer the village for all the activities, dining, shops etc.

Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northstar

Definitely fly into Reno. Drive to Truckee is about 35 minutes. Sacramento airport is 2 hrs by car from Truckee. And Amtrak is far from reliable. They are always late, like by multiple hours. Pacific Uniom owns the tracks, so they have to abide by their schedule changes.

As for snow, that of course is hit or miss. If you take a shuttle to Northstar from the airport, and stay at a condo in Northstar, then you don't need a car. Unless of course you want to travel into town to see other things. Northstar has a shuttle around the neighborhood as well - it's free. So you don't h e to necessarily stay at a condo right in the village. The village is fun for all ages, ice skating, snores, love music on some days, food, etc.

Truckee, California
Level Contributor
55 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northstar

HI there- RNO (Reno) is the best airport-- it takes about 40 minutes to drive to Northstar from here. You have 2 options at Northstar for lodging, beyond the Ritz-Carlton: Tahoe Mountain Lodging (www.tahoemountainlodging.com) for studio to four-bedroom, four-star lodging IN the Village & for more casual cabin & condo rentals outside of the Village. check out Northstar Lodging (northstarcalifornia.com).

Enjoy-- Northstar is awesome for learning to ski & super family-friendly. They offer "Tost" (free champagne) on-mountain every day at 2 pm & then free s'mores around the ice skating rink at 3 pm. :)

Reply to: Northstar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Truckee