We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truckee without a car?

Sonoma County...
4 posts
Save Topic
Truckee without a car?

Is it possible to do a weekend Truckee trip without a car?

We are in the North Bay area and were looking at taking Amtrak intro Truckee for a long weekend. We wouldn't be looking to ski or for anything fancy, just looking to take our 2-year-old and 4-year-old to play in some snow.

I asked some moms local to where we live now and they thought historic downtown might be walkable but they weren't sure about places to stay. I've tried looking online but I'm not sure which area is the downtown. It would be two adults and the two kiddos but all the other details are up in the air still.

Thanks for any help. :-)

3 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truckee without a car?

>>>Is it possible to do a weekend Truckee trip without a car?<<<

I am going to say no. Others may have different opinions, but there is not good public transportation in the area. The Truckee Hotel is fine if you are in your 20s, but it is barely above a hostel.

To find "downtown" Truckee Google "Bar of America" and zoom in. That is pretty much DT Truckee.

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truckee without a car?

I was going to say yes, but then I saw you have a 2 and 4 year old. My experience with kids at that age is that they are good for about 15 minutes in the snow and then the cold and wet does them in. I think the bus service is good for Truckee and the North Shore, but decide for yourself.

Truckee is a great town ....for a couple away from the kids.

http://www.laketahoetransit.com/

3. Re: Truckee without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 October 2016, 06:35
Edited: 25 October 2016, 06:35

Reply to: Truckee without a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Truckee