We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a June trip from Truckee to Crater Lake

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a June trip from Truckee to Crater Lake

Can anyone provide tips on scenic spots for the drive up hwy 89 from Truckee to Lassen and Crater Lake which we're planning for this June?

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a June trip from Truckee to Crater Lake

Hello Shea,

Yes, I can give you some ideas!

Here is a map for you that we took just last summer (2015). The only difference is that we did not go through Truckee last summer. However, I have driven Highway 89 between Truckee and Lassen Volcanic National Park & the Chester, CA area more times than I can count. It is lovely! Too much info here for you, but last summer we linked up at Chester, CA on the map below.

So here is the map link ---

https://goo.gl/maps/fKSqbfU9iB92

Scenic tips!

1) GRAEAGLE and CLIO, CA. These are VERY small towns just 40 or 50 miles north of Truckee on Highway 89 in a yet to be discovered part of California. Well, let's say that some people are already discovering this area. Lots of golf courses, beautiful custom homes (price tag for some homes into the millions of dollars), cute little eateries and shops right on Highway 89, WhiteHawk Ranch. Beautiful forests, lush meadows.

2) QUINCY, CA. This is a larger small town. Very cute main street,you know, flower baskets hanging from the old-fashioned street light poles and so on. See image of QUINCY below.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/76457296

3) LASSEN VOLCANIC NATIONAL PARK. Before you start out from Truckee, make certain that Highway 89 through the national park is open for the summer season. The park usually gets a lot of snow and this year is a very wet and snowy season. If the road is not open, just try to roll with it and you will need to bypass Lassen. If Highway 89 is not open through the park and you need to go around Lassen, the route I would take for scenery would be to head east to SUSANVILLE, CA, then at/near Susanville head north-westerly to link up again with Highway 89 north of LASSEN around OLD STATION, CA.

4) McARTHUR-BURNEY FALLS MEMORIAL STATE PARK. This state park has a beautiful falls! A great place to purchase a day use pass and stretch your legs. There is also a limited food concession inside the state park. Here is the web link for the state park ---

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=455

5) DUSMUIR, CA. This old railroad town is adjacent to Interstate 5. The main street is very quaint and historic. Not a whole lot there. Town has really good lines, if you know what I mean, and with some good investment dollars this place would flourish. There is an awesome restaurant specializing in Thai cuisine. It is right on the town's main street. SENGTHONGS is the name.

6) MT SHASTA, CA. This is a really cute flourishing town with the mountain (Mount Shasta) so close that it seems you could just reach out and touch it!

7) KLAMATH FALLS, OR. This is a ho-hum town in my opinion but we stayed overnight at a very nice Best Western lodge. VERY NICE BREAKFAST. AMAZING!

8) ROCKY POINT, OR. There is actually nothing at Rocky Point but the reason I mention Rocky Point is to highlight the fact that when we left Klamath Falls we took the highway that skirts the west side of Upper Klamath Lake. This was a beautiful route and I am so glad we went this way. There was not much traffic. And best of all, this route is so very scenic as compared to the main highway that goes on the east side of Upper Klamath Lake.

9) CRATER LAKE LODGE area. We found the picnic area that is within view of the actual historic Crater Lake Lodge. Wow, a lovely picnic area with several spots located on a paved loop one-lane road. It must have been a campground at some earlier time but it was so special to us. We pulled in to a drive-through parking spot just a few feet from the picnic table in our spot. There was also a grill -- on the ground -- at each picnic spot.

Have fun! This is going to be a beautiful trip filled with many wonderful memories!

Copper

Edited: 10 February 2016, 02:21
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a June trip from Truckee to Crater Lake

CORRECTION: Number 5 above should be DUNSMUIR, CA. I forgot the N.

Since my time to edit has not expired, here is the web site for WHITEHAWK. I can tell you that they are *down playing* WHITEHAWK RANCH. They know what they are doing -- ha-ha!

https://www.lodgeatwhitehawk.com/lodge.html

Copper

Edited: 10 February 2016, 02:27
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a June trip from Truckee to Crater Lake

MAP CORRECTION:

In looking closely at the map -- link provided in earlier post --, the route in that map is slightly off from the way we went as it pertains to Highway 89 north of McARTHUR-BURNEY FALLS MEMORIAL STATE PARK.

For the record, we stayed on Highway 89 the entire way from Lassen to Interstate 5. See revised map link below ---

https://goo.gl/maps/FnwvMhLMD162

Also, for clarification, McARTHUR-BURNEY is on Highway 89 just about 5 miles north of the junction of Highways 89 and 299. You'll drive right past it if it is not on your list of places to stop.

Copper

4. Re: Planning a June trip from Truckee to Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2017, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Truckee